Patrick J. Rochette is a regular researcher at the Research Centre of the CHU of Quebec – Laval University, in the area of regenerative medicine, of which he is the assistant director. He is also Associate Professor and Assistant Director of Basic Research in the Department of Ophthalmology and ENT – head and neck surgery of the Faculty of Medicine at Laval University. He completed his graduate studies (MSc / PhD) in the laboratory of Dr. Regen Drouin (U. Laval), where he studied the induction and repair of UV-induced damage. He pursued his training with 2 postdoctoral fellowships at Yale University, including one in the laboratory of Dr. Douglas Brash, a pioneer in the study of UV-induced mutations in cutaneous cancer. His second fellowship took place in Dr. Yilun Liu ‘s laboratory, where he worked on the RecQ4 helicase in the initiation of DNA replication. He joined Laval University in 2009 and started a laboratory where he specialized in photobiology and, more precisely, on the consequences of cell exposure to low-wavelength light rays (ultraviolet and blue). In humans, only the skin and eyes are exposed to these rays. Thus, Dr. Rochette’s laboratory is interested in two fields of study, ocular photobiology and cutaneous photobiology.
At the cutaneous level, skin cells are used as a model to study the mechanisms of protection against the genotoxicity of sunlight. These mechanisms include the induction of mutagenic damage, its repair, and induced cell death as a protective mechanism. In this part of the laboratory, the projects pursued are, among others, the following:
– Influence of the dermis on the efficacy of repair techniques of UV-induced mutagenic damage to the epidermis;
– Effect of chronic UVB irradiation on the cellular genotoxic stress response;
– Necroptosis as a new UV-induced, programmed cell death pathway;
– Involvement of UVA, alone or in synergy with polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) contained in cigarette smoke in cutaneous photoaging.
At the ocular level, Dr. Rochette’s research is mostly applied. It aims to understand the involvement of UV and blue light in various ocular pathologies. As UV light does not reach the adult retina, blue light is the most energetic light it is exposed to. In this part of the laboratory, the projects pursued are, among others, the following:
– UVA toxicity in the cornea, involvement of UV-Induced oxidation;
– Involvement of mitochondrial dysfunction in Fuchs corneal endothelial dystrophy;
– Involvement of blue light, alone or in synergy with lipofuscin and / or PAHs in age-related macular degeneration (AMD).
1050, chemin Sainte-Foy
Canada G1S 4L8
- Amouret, SophieDoctoral studentHôpital Saint-Sacrement+1 418-525-4444, extension firstname.lastname@example.org
1050 Chemin Sainte-Foy
Canada G1S 4L8
- Larnac, EloïseDoctoral studentHôpital Saint-Sacrement+1 418-525-4444, extension email@example.com
1050 Chemin Sainte-Foy
Canada G1S 4L8
- Montoni, AliciaEmployee+1 418-525-4444, extension 48384+1 firstname.lastname@example.org
The Presence of Guttae in Fuchs Endothelial Corneal Dystrophy Explants Correlates With Cellular Markers of Disease ProgressionJournal Article
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 64 (5), 2023.
Reduction of DNA damage repair efficiency and accumulation of residual damage following chronic UVB-irradiation of HaCaT cellsJournal Article
PLoS One, 18 (4), 2023.
Rescuing cellular function in Fuchs endothelial corneal dystrophy by healthy exogenous mitochondrial internalizationJournal Article
Sci Rep, 13 (1), 2023.
Toxic Interaction Between Solar Radiation and Cigarette Smoke on Primary Human KeratinocytesJournal Article
Photochem Photobiol, 99 (5), 2023.
Photoprotective effect of solid lipid nanoparticles of rutin against UVB radiation damage on skin biopsies and tissue-engineered skinJournal Article
J Microencapsul, 39 (7-8), 2022.
The Influence of Blue-Filtering Intraocular Lenses Implant on Exudative Age-Related Macular Degeneration: A Case-Control StudyJournal Article
Clin Ophthalmol, 15 , 2021.
The T414G mitochondrial DNA mutation: a biomarker of ageing in human eyeJournal Article
Mutagenesis, 36 (2), 2021.
Matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors in Fuchs endothelial corneal dystrophyJournal Article
Exp Eye Res, 205 , 2021.
The use of tissue-engineered skin to demonstrate the negative effect of CXCL5 on epidermal ultraviolet radiation-induced cyclobutane pyrimidine dimer repair efficiencyJournal Article
Br J Dermatol, 184 (1), 2021.
Apple Extract ( sp.) and Rutin as Photochemopreventive Agents: Evaluation of Ultraviolet B-Induced Alterations on Skin Biopsies and Tissue-Engineered SkinJournal Article
Rejuvenation Res, 23 (6), 2020.
- Fuchs endothelial corneal dystrophy and corneal transplantation: The traditional paradigm revisited, from 2019-10-01 to 2024-09-30
- Journée annuelle de la recherche en ophtalmologie , from 2019-04-23 to 2025-03-31
- Toxicité de la lumière et dysfonctionnement mitochondrial dans l’oeil humain, from 2021-07-01 to 2024-06-30
- Toxicité des rayons ultraviolets sous l’angle de la mitochondrie, from 2023-04-01 to 2028-03-31
Recently finished projects
- Réponse cellulaire au stress génotoxique induit par l'irradiation chronique aux rayons ultraviolets., from 2016-04-01 to 2022-03-31