Patrick Couture received his medical degree from Laval University in Quebec City. He completed his residency in Internal Medicine and a PhD in physiology at Laval University and the University of Montreal before heading to Tufts University in Boston, MA, for a research fellowship at the Jean-Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging. Upon returning to Quebec City, he joined the CHU Research Center and the Institute of Nutrition and Functional Foods, where he contributed to the establishment of a clinical research center focused on nutrition and lipoprotein metabolism. Dr. Couture is currently a professor in Laval University’s School of Medicine, and he was the director of the university’s residency training program in internal medicine from 2007 to 2012. Dr. Couture is currently the director of the Lipid Apheresis Program at the Laval University Medical Center, and he is also involved in the clinical care of patients with various lipoprotein disorders.
Investigate the impact of dietary fatty acids on lipoprotein metabolism in patients with diabetes
Diabetes and pre-diabetes are metabolic disorders affecting more than 15% of the world’s population. The prevalence of these disorders is currently on the rise, mainly due to the increasingly sedentary lifestyles associated with rising obesity rates and aging of the population. Because diabetes and pre-diabetes are so closely associated with major health problems such as high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol and cardiovascular disease, they have a tremendous impact on society’s healthcare costs. Significant efforts should therefore be dedicated to tackling this problem from a societal perspective. Dr. Couture’s interests in nutrition led him to uncover the effects of various dietary fatty acids on lipoprotein kinetics and on the expression of key genes involved in intestinal lipid metabolism in patients with diabetes and pre-diabetes. His work is funded by grants from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Fonds de recherche du Québec (Santé) and industry.
Education & certification
- MD, Laval University, Québec City.
- License from the College of Physicians of Quebec (General Practice).
- License from the Medical Council of Canada (L.M.C.C.).
- FLEX (The Federation Licensing Examination) certification, New York State.
- MSc in physiology (molecular endocrinology), Laval University, Québec City. Research Project: Regulation of 17ß-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activity in human breast cancer. Supervisors: Drs. Jacques Simard and Fernand Labrie.
- American Board of Internal Medicine certification.
- Residency in Internal Medicine (1998-1993) at Laval University and University of Montréal. The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada certification (Internal Medicine).
- License of the College of Physicians of Quebec (Internal Medicine).
- PhD in physiology, Laval University, Québec City. Research project: Molecular genetics and phenotypic expression of familial hypercholesterolemia and protein C deficiency in French Canadians. Supervisors: Drs. Jacques Simard and Sital Moorjani.
- Fellowship, Lipid Metabolism Laboratory, Jean Mayer-USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, 711 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA. Research project: Genetic polymorphisms associated with variations in plasma lipoproteins and coronary heart disease risk in the Framingham Offspring Study. Supervisors: Drs. Ernst J. Schaefer and Jose Ordovas.
2705, boulevard Laurier
Canada G1V 4G2
- Les IRSC investissent 7,6 M$ pour 9 projets de recherche du CRCHU 2019-01-28
- Deux suppléments font chou blanc : Des extraits de raisin et de curcuma ne parviennent pas à contrer l’inflammation qui suit un repas riche en gras 2018-03-29
- Le coeur penche pour le DHA : Une étude met en lumière l’apport spécifique de cet oméga-3 contre les maladies cardiométaboliques 2016-05-05
- Desjardins, Louis-CharlesMaster student
Update of a Genetic Risk Score Predictive of the Plasma Triglyceride Response to an Omega-3 Fatty Acid Supplementation in the FAS StudyJournal Article
Nutrients, 15 (5), 2023.
Physiological Bases for the Superiority of Apolipoprotein B Over Low-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol and Non-High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol as a Marker of Cardiovascular RiskJournal Article
J Am Heart Assoc, 11 (20), 2022.
Associations between insulin-like growth factor binding protein-2 and lipoprotein kinetics in menJournal Article
J Lipid Res, 63 (10), 2022.
Gene expression signatures and cardiometabolic outcomes following 8-week mango consumption in individuals with overweight/obesityJournal Article
Front Nutr, 9 , 2022.
Corrigendum to 'Raspberry consumption: identification of distinct immune-metabolic response profiles by whole blood transcriptome profiling' [Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry 101C (2022) 108946]Journal Article
J Nutr Biochem, 106 , 2022.
Changes in systolic blood pressure, postprandial glucose, and gut microbial composition following mango consumption in individuals with overweight and obesityJournal Article
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab, 47 (5), 2022.
Gut Microbial Signatures of Distinct Trimethylamine N-Oxide Response to Raspberry ConsumptionJournal Article
Nutrients, 14 (8), 2022.
Raspberry consumption: identification of distinct immune-metabolic response profiles by whole blood transcriptome profilingJournal Article
J Nutr Biochem, 101 , 2022.
Influence of the LDL-Receptor Genotype on Statin Response in Heterozygous Familial Hypercholesterolemia: Insights From the Canadian FH RegistryJournal Article
Can J Cardiol, 38 (3), 2022.
Polymorphisms in the stearoyl-CoA desaturase gene modify blood glucose response to dietary oils varying in MUFA content in adults with obesityJournal Article
Br J Nutr, 127 (4), 2022.
- Canada-Wide Human nutrition trialists' network, from 2014-06-01 to 2023-03-31
- Dissecting host-microbiome modifiers of type 2 diabetes risk - Objective 1.1, from 2019-11-01 to 2024-10-31
- Dissecting host-microbiome modifiers of type 2 diabetes risk - Objective 1.3, from 2019-11-01 to 2024-10-31
- Institut sur la nutrition et les aliments fonctionnels (INAF), from 2017-04-01 to 2024-03-31
- L'empreinte métabolomique plasmatique des produits laitiers: un reflet de leur consommation et une fenêtre sur leurs effets cardiométaboliques, from 2022-10-01 to 2024-09-30
- Mediterranean diet and physical activity: is the whole better than the sum of each part ? Clinical and mechanistic perspectives, from 2018-04-01 to 2024-03-31
- Unravelling the impact of diet on cardiovascular health in heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia: a metabolomic approach, from 2021-10-01 to 2025-09-30
- Validation de la mesure d’expression génique unicellulaire à partir d’un échantillon de tissu hépatique chez des sujets avec une suspicion clinique de stéatose hépatique non-alcoolique., from 2022-08-24 to 2023-08-23
Recently finished projects
- Differential effects of saturated and monounsaturated fatty acids on chylomicron secretion and the expression of key genes that regulate intestinal lipid metabolism in insulin-resistant subjects, from 2019-04-01 to 2022-03-31
- Indices de qualité nutritionnelle et calcification des artères coronaires dans une cohorte d'individus avec hypercholestérolémie familiale hétérozygote, from 2021-02-02 to 2022-03-31
- Plant-based dietary patterns and coronary artery calcification in adults with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia, from 2021-04-01 to 2022-03-31
- Qualité nutritionnelle des aliments et déterminants de l'adhésion aux saines habitudes alimentaires, from 2015-12-01 to 2021-09-30
- The effect of an enhanced dietary portfolio flus exercise on cardiovascular risk in high risk individuals, from 2013-10-01 to 2021-03-31