Marie-Josée Sirois is an occupational therapist and epidemiologist, as well as a professor in the Department of Rehabilitation of the School of Medicine at Laval University. She is a clinical researcher with the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, and a regular researcher at the CRCHU of Quebec, as well as at the Centre d’Excellence sur le Vieillissement de Québec (CEVQ). Dr. Sirois’ clinical research program aims to maintain the mobility and functioning of frail and traumatized seniors by improving their care in emergency departments and in the community. Her preferred methods are large clinical cohort studies, intervention trials, and the use of large administrative databases.
Aging, injuries and loss of autonomy
In Canada, it is estimated that every year, about 80 out of every 1,000 seniors suffer from an injury; 60% of these injuries are related to falls and restrict the mobility of these people. Motor vehicle accidents are also a major cause of injuries that compromise the mobility of seniors.
At this time, while the vast majority (65%) of those aged 65 who have suffered minor- injuries return home following a consultation at the emergency room, there is no method to evaluate the risk of functional decline, nor a standardized and effective method of management (assessment and intervention) in emergency departments for this population. Epidemiology, clinical course, appropriate emergency services, and the need for follow-up services following emergency visits of seniors with minor injuries remain poorly understood. Furthermore, scientific literature indicates that active and independent seniors who have suffered injuries are likely to limit their activities for fear of getting injured again. This activity restriction may result in physical deconditioning or loss of social interaction, which are known risk factors for functional and mobility decline. Thus, minor trauma could be a precursor to functional disorders and an overall reduction in the quality of life in the elderly.
Canada G1J 1Z4
- Blais, JoannieMaster email@example.com@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
- Giroux, MarianneDoctoral firstname.lastname@example.org@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
- Hegg-Deloye, SandrineEmployee2400, ave. d'Estimauville+1 418-666-7000, extension 10220Sandrine.email@example.comSandrine.Hegg-Deloye@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
Canada G1E 7G9
- Matta Dias, AndréiaEmployeeHôpital Saint-Sacrement+1 418-525-4444, extension firstname.lastname@example.org@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
1050, Chemin Ste-Foy
Canada G1S 4L8
- Sangrar, RuheenaPostdoctoral fellow
Frailty and health services use among Quebec seniors with non-hip fractures: a population-based study using adminsitrative databasesJournal Article
BMC Health Serv Res, 19 (1), 2019.
[Effects of Lifestyle Redesign on older adults: A systematic review]Journal Article
Can J Occup Ther, 86 (1), 2019.
Is the Drug Burden Index Related to Declining Functional Status at Follow-up in Community-Dwelling Seniors Consulting for Minor Injuries? Results from the Canadian Emergency Team Initiative Cohort StudyJournal Article
Drugs Aging, 36 (1), 2019.
Preventing emergency department (ED) visits and hospitalisations of older adults with cognitive impairment compared with the general senior population: what do we know about avoidable incidents? Results from a scoping reviewJournal Article
BMJ Open, 8 (4), 2018.
Using the Bergman-Paris Question to screen seniors in the emergency departmentJournal Article
CJEM, 20 (5), 2018.
Mobility assessments of geriatric emergency department patients: A systematic reviewJournal Article
CJEM, 20 (3), 2018.
Feasibility, Acceptability and Effects of a Home-Based Exercise Program Using a Gerontechnology on Physical Capacities after a Minor Injury in Community-Living Older Adults: A Pilot StudyJournal Article
J Nutr Health Aging, 22 (1), 2018.
Frailty Assessment to Help Predict Patients at Risk of Delirium When Consulting the Emergency DepartmentJournal Article
J Emerg Med, 55 (2), 2018.
Depression in the First Year after Traumatic Brain InjuryJournal Article
J Neurotrauma, 35 (14), 2018.
Comparing the effects of a home-based exercise program using a gerontechnology to a community-based group exercise program on functional capacities in older adults after a minor injuryJournal Article
Exp Gerontol, 108 , 2018.
- Optimisation et évaluation d’un programme d’éducation pour vieillir en santé pendant le confinement, from 2021-03-15 to 2024-06-15
- Physiotherapy care in Emergency Departments for Patients with Musculoskeletal Disorders: A Pragmatic Cluster Randomized Controlled Trial and Cost Analysis, from 2021-04-01 to 2024-09-30
Recently finished projects
- Adaptation québécoise de l'outil PRÉSAGE et évaluation de sa valeur prédictive pour détecter les personnes âgées à risque de consultation à l'urgence, from 2021-04-01 to 2022-03-31
- Adoption de comportements préventifs chez les ainés vulnérables en situation d'épidémie /pandémie : vers une participation sociale sécuritaire (sans sortir de la maison) et une réduction des risques accrues , from 2020-04-01 to 2021-03-31
- Connecting Emergency Departments with Community services to prevent mobility losses in pre-frail & frail Seniors (CEDeComS), from 2016-07-01 to 2020-06-30
- Four Year Embedded Clinician Researcher Program, from 2016-09-01 to 2020-12-31
- Impacts des recommandations COVID19 sur le statut fonctionnel et la mobilité des aînés robustes, préfragiles et fragiles de l’ECR-CEDeComS : l’Exercice Physique à domicile est-t-il une solution ?, from 2020-04-01 to 2021-03-31
- La clinique des ainés : une transition innovante des soins pour aînés fragilisés – Éviter le retour à la case départ, from 2019-04-01 to 2021-03-31
- La géronto-technologie peut-elle pallier les barrières d'accès aux services en exercices physiques afin de permettre aux aînés de maintenir leurs capacités fonctionnelles et de mobilité après une blessure mineure ? , from 2021-05-17 to 2022-05-16
- Portrait et évolution des besoins en soins traumatologiques chez l'aîné: du pré-hospitalier à la réadaptation., from 2016-04-01 to 2022-04-30
- Supporting the creation of a LEARNing INteGrated health system to mobilize context-adapted knowledge with a Wiki platform to Improve the transitions of frail Seniors from from hospitals and emergency Departments to the cOMmunity : The ..., from 2017-04-01 to 2021-03-31