Dr. Gagnon is an adult endocrinologist. She has completed a 3-year research fellowship in metabolic bone diseases and phosphocalcic metabolism disorders. She is a clinician researcher at the CHU de Québec-Laval University Research Centre and a Professor at Laval University’s School of Medicine. She is also an associate researcher at Laval University’s Institute of Nutrition and Functional Foods. Her research focusses on the impact of obesity and type 2 diabetes treatments on bone health (including bariatric surgery and medical treatments). She also works on the effects of vitamin D and other nutrients on the prevention of type 2 diabetes and, finally, on phosphocalcic metabolism disorders. Her research is financed by Diabète Québec, Diabetes Canada, and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research.
Dr. Gagnon has received several prizes and honours, including the 2017 research prize from the Fédération des médecins spécialistes du Québec, a 2015 young investigator award from the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, an award at the 2015 International Symposium on the Nutritional Aspects of Osteoporosis, and a 2019 Jean-Davignon young investigator award from the FRQ-S cardiometabolic, diabetes and obesity network.
To evaluate the impact of bariatric surgery and other obesity treatments on bone health
Bariatric surgery is associated with clear benefits on reducing obesity-related diseases. However, data cumulated over the last few years suggest that certain types of bariatric procedures have adverse effects on bone health. Moreover, the effect of medical weight loss on bone health is not well studied. Dr. Gagnon’s research aims at evaluating the impact of different types of bariatric procedures and obesity treatments on bone markers, and to determine the mechanisms by which they influence bone health.
To evaluate the effects of vitamin D and other nutrients on the risk of developing type 2 diabetes
Certain nutrients hold promise to decrease the risk of diabetes in people at high risk. Dr. Gagnon’s expertise is to perform clinical trials to evaluate whether these nutrients are effective.
2705, boulevard Laurier
Canada G1V 4G2
- Cant, ÉliseEmployeeElise.Cant@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
- Chouinard-Castonguay, SarahEmployeeCHUL+1 418-525-4444, extension 48729+1 418-654-2298Sarah.Chouinard-Castonguay@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
2705, boulevard Laurier
Canada G1V 4G2
- Garceau, ÉlodieEmployeeelodie.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Turcotte, Anne-FrédériqueDoctoral studentCHULanneemail@example.com@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
2705, boul. Laurier
Canaca G1V 4G2
- Yang, AngelaMaster firstname.lastname@example.org
Perceptions of fracture and fall risk and of the benefits and barriers to exercise in adults with diabetesJournal Article
Osteoporos Int, 2022.
Self-reported Severe and Nonsevere Hypoglycemia in Type 1 Diabetes: Population Surveillance Through the BETTER Patient Engagement Registry: Development and Baseline CharacteristicsJournal Article
Can J Diabetes, 2022.
Bone Marrow Adiposity, Bone Mineral Density and Wnt/β-catenin Pathway Inhibitors Levels in Hemodialysis PatientsJournal Article
J Bone Metab, 29 (2), 2022.
Dietary intakes in pregnant women with previous bariatric surgeryJournal Article
Eat Weight Disord, 27 (6), 2022.
Prevalence of Vertebral Fractures in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes: DenSiFy Study (Diabetes Spine Fractures)Journal Article
J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 107 (5), 2022.
Salmon peptides limit obesity-associated metabolic disorders by modulating a gut-liver axis in vitamin D-deficient miceJournal Article
Obesity (Silver Spring), 29 (10), 2021.
Bile acids during pregnancy: Trimester variations and associations with glucose homeostasisJournal Article
Health Sci Rep, 4 (1), 2021.
Dairy product intake modifies gut microbiota composition among hyperinsulinemic individualsJournal Article
Eur J Nutr, 60 (1), 2021.
Cholecalciferol Supplementation Does Not Prevent the Development of Metabolic Syndrome or Enhance the Beneficial Effects of Omega-3 Fatty Acids in Obese MiceJournal Article
J Nutr, 151 (5), 2021.
Longitudinal Assessment of Vitamin D Status across Trimesters of PregnancyJournal Article
J Nutr, 151 (7), 2021.
- A new focus on protein and the gut microbiota to explain health benefits of dairy foods, from 2022-01-01 to 2024-12-31
- Bone and Muscle Health Following Sleeve Gastrectomy in Men, Premenopausal and Postmenopausal Women, from 2022-04-01 to 2027-03-31
- Bone health after bariatric surgery in patient with type 2 diabetes, from 2017-07-01 to 2022-12-31
- Dissecting host-microbiome modifiers of type 2 diabetes risk - Objective 1.3, from 2019-11-01 to 2024-10-31
- Identifying low bone turnover disease in chronic kidney disease in order to guide anti-fracture therapy, from 2020-10-01 to 2025-09-30
- Impact of Glycemic Variability on Cognitive Impairment, Disordered Eating Behaviors and Self-Management Skills in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes, from 2021-12-01 to 2024-11-30
- Institut sur la nutrition et les aliments fonctionnels (INAF), from 2017-04-01 to 2024-03-31
- La santé osseuse après une chirurgie bariatrique chez des patients ayant un diabète de type 2 - suivi 3 ans post chirurgie, from 2022-01-01 to 2024-12-31
- Multifaceted Intervention using Telehealth to Reduce the risk of Falls and Fractures in Older Men (MisterFit study): a Pilot Study , from 2021-10-01 to 2025-09-30
- Traiter l’os pour prévenir l’hypertension et les maladies cardiovasculaires chez les femmes ménopausées., from 2021-05-01 to 2023-06-30
- Translational approach to establish the cardiometabolic health effects and mechanisms of action of fish nutrients: from animal models to obese insulin-resistant subjects, from 2013-06-01 to 2023-03-31
Recently finished projects
- Associations Between the Changes in Gut Microbiota and Bone and Muscle Outcomes After Sleeve Gastrectomy, from 2021-04-01 to 2022-03-31
- BEhaviors, Therapies, TEchnologies and hypoglycemic Risk in Type 1 diabetes: The BETTER study, from 2018-04-01 to 2022-03-31
- Covid-19 effects on ARTErial StIffness and vascular AgiNg (CARTESIAN) study- Canada, from 2021-06-01 to 2022-05-31
- Demonstration of the prebiotic-like effects of camu-camu consumption against obesity-related disorders in humans, from 2019-07-01 to 2022-06-30
- Determinants of bone and muscle quality and function in obesity with and without diabetes - BODI 2, from 2019-12-18 to 2021-09-30
- Insulinorésistance et santé osseuse chez l’obèse : rôle des nutriments et des facteurs hormonaux, from 2017-10-01 to 2021-09-30
- Perinatal research unit for a sustainable health of mother and child, from 2018-03-01 to 2021-12-31