Serge Dumont is a professor at the Faculty of Social Sciences at Laval University. Specializing in the field of palliative care, Dr. Dumont’s work is part of the movement towards humanized palliative care, where he directed one of the first major cohort studies on psychological distress experienced by the loved ones accompanying an end-of-life patient. At the same time, he filled an important theoretical gap by proposing a conceptual framework describing the constituent elements of the psychological and emotional burden of this population. His work led to the development and validation of a tool for measuring this burden, now translated into four languages, and used for clinical and research purposes. His work also highlighted the deleterious effects of the financial burden faced by low-income families accompanying end-of-life patients. As a result, Dr. Dumont conducted two large longitudinal studies in real-life context on the costs of palliative care, including the sharing of these between families and the public health system. The results of these two studies were cited in a large international survey published by the prestigious journal The Economist -Intelligence-Unit. In a more clinical perspective, Dr. Dumont co-led a study in Quebec that documented the mechanisms of production and reproduction of discontinuity of care issues in the trajectories of cancer patients, from diagnosis to the terminal phase. He also co-directed a study aimed at characterizing the clinical practices of Quebec physicians with regard to terminal sedation, a study that he subsequently repeated with Swiss doctors while he was a visiting professor at the Centre hospitalier universitaire Vaudois (CHUV) in Lausanne. The work done to date by Dr. Dumont is a reference, particularly in terms of best practices for interprofessional collaboration. His more recent work is similar in perspective, as evidenced by his activities carried out jointly with the health services of Northern Quebec to optimize palliative and end-of-life care, thus helping to maintain the Inuit in their community until the moment of their death.
6, rue McMahon
Canada G1R 2J6
Data not available
The use of palliative sedation: A comparison of attitudes of French-speaking physicians from Quebec and Switzerland.Journal Article
Palliat Support Care, 13 (4), pp. 839-47, 2015, ISSN: 1478-9515.
The Association Between Home Palliative Care Services and Quality of End-of-Life Care Indicators in the Province of Québec.Journal Article
J Pain Symptom Manage, 50 (1), pp. 48-58, 2015, ISSN: 0885-3924.
Improving Decision making On Location of Care with the frail Elderly and their caregivers (the DOLCE study): study protocol for a cluster randomized controlled trial.Journal Article
Trials, 16 , pp. 50, 2015.
Interprofessional collaboration: development of a tool to enhance knowledge translation.Journal Article
Disabil Rehabil, 37 (4), pp. 372-8, 2015, ISSN: 0963-8288.
Building an interfaculty interprofessional education curriculum: what can we learn from the Université Laval experience?Journal Article
Educ Health (Abingdon), 28 (1), pp. 58-63, 2015, ISSN: 1357-6283.
French Swiss physicians' attitude toward palliative sedation: Influence of prognosis and type of suffering.Journal Article
Palliat Support Care, 12 (5), pp. 345-50, 2014, ISSN: 1478-9515.
Perceived communication between physicians and breast cancer patients as a predicting factor of patients' health-related quality of life: a longitudinal analysis.Journal Article
Psychooncology, 23 (5), pp. 531-8, 2014, ISSN: 1057-9249.
The Interprofessional Psychosocial Oncology Distance Education (IPODE) project: perceived outcomes of an approach to healthcare professional education.Journal Article
J Interprof Care, 28 (3), pp. 254-9, 2014, ISSN: 1356-1820.
A comparison of support needs between rural and urban family caregivers providing palliative care.Journal Article
Am J Hosp Palliat Care, 31 (1), pp. 13-9, 2014, ISSN: 1049-9091.
Distribution and sharing of palliative care costs in rural areas of Canada.Journal Article
J Palliat Care, 30 (2), pp. 90-8, 2014, ISSN: 0825-8597.
- Centre de recherche du CHU de Québec - Université Laval, Subvention, Centre hospitalier universitaire de Québec - Université Laval, Centres de recherche affiliés, from 2017-01-01 to 2099-12-31
- Centre de recherche sur le cancer, Subvention, Institutionnel - BDR, BDR - Centres de recherche reconnus, from 1996-05-01 to 2022-06-13
- Centre de recherche sur les soins et les services de première ligne de l'Université Laval, Subvention, CIUSSS - CN - Centre de recherche sur les soins et les services de première ligne de l'ULaval, Centres de recherche affiliés, from 2017-01-01 to 2099-12-31
- Formation enrichie en collaboration avec le réseau de soins et services de santé de première ligne, Subvention, Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada, Subvention de démarrage en modernisation de la formation en RSPS, from 2017-03-01 to 2021-03-31
- Interdisciplinary team in Early Functional Optimization (InTEFO): introducing a new optimization clinic to improve accessibility and efficiency of quality palliative care in advanced cancer patients., Subvention, L'Institut de recherche de la Société canadienne du cancer, Subventions de recherche sur l’amélioration de la qualité de vie, from 2014-02-01 to 2021-01-31
- Optimising end of life care in Nunavik communities, Subvention, Régie régionale de la santé et des services sociaux Nunavik, from 2016-12-02 to 2020-12-31
- Supporting the creation of a LEARNing INteGrated health system to mobilize context-adapted knowledge with a Wiki platform to Improve the transitions of frail Seniors from from hospitals and emergency Departments to the cOMmunity : The ..., Subvention, Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada, Subvention Projet, from 2017-04-01 to 2021-03-31
- Vivre sa fin de vie à domicile – Regards croisés franco-québécois sur l’intensification des services en soins palliatifs à domicile jusqu’au décès, Subvention, Fondation de l'Université Laval, from 2015-11-01 to 2021-03-31
Recently finished projects
- Fonds de recherche et d'enseignement de l'École de service social, Subvention, Fondation de l'Université Laval, from 2010-01-04 to 2020-03-31
- mATrICES-F: ApplicaTIons des Connaissances axée sur le gEnre et le Sexe des personnes en contexte Francophone, Subvention, Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada, Programme de subvention d'équipe, from 2017-04-01 to 2020-03-31
- Réseau-1 Québec (Réseau de recherche en soins et services de santé de première ligne), Subvention, Fonds de recherche du Québec - Santé, Réseau de connaissances du FRQ-S, from 2013-07-01 to 2019-06-30