Dr. Pierre Julien is a professor of Medicine at Laval University and the Director of the Endocrinology and Nephrology Research Unit at the Centre de recherche de CHU de Québec-Laval University. He is the Director of the Centre de recherche en endocrinologie, métabolisme et inflammation (CREMI) at Laval University, as well as the President of the Québec Society of Lipidology, Nutrition and Metabolism.
His expertise mainly focusses on the role of fatty acids, particularly omega-3 and trans fatty acids on oxidative stress in various pathologies. Thus, he is involved in the establishment of research pregnancy cohorts, such as INTAPP (International Trial of Antioxidants in the Prevention of Preeclampsia) and IRNPQEO (Integrated Research Network in Perinatology of Quebec and Eastern Ontario) cohorts to study the role of oxidative stress. Including studies on the role of antioxidants such as vitamins E et C, Dr. Julien is also involved in the demonstration of the role of oxidized fatty acids (isoprostanes) as early biomarkers of oxidative stress.
Recently, we have studied the oxidation of long-chain fatty acids by free radicals using novel analytical methods with gas chromatography and high-pressure liquid chromatography combined with mass spectrometry. We have discovered that oxidized fatty acids (isoprostanes), particularly those derived from arachidonic fatty acid (oméga-6), may be used as biomarkers for the early detection of pregnancy hypertension, but also reveal other inflammatory pathologies, such as cancer and diabetes. The actual research program is thus geared at studying the beneficial effects of anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acid metabolites compared to metabolites generated by pro-inflammatory omega-6 fatty acids.
We have demonstrated that metabolic and transcriptomic factors may significantly influence the response to dietary supplementation in fatty acids, suggesting inter-individual variations with important pathophysiologic effects. These results shed light on the importance of proposing personalized dietary recommendations, particularly related to the levels of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
2705, boulevard Laurier
Canada G1V 4G2
Data not available
Effects of concentrated long-chain omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation before radical prostatectomy on prostate cancer proliferation, inflammation, and quality of life: study protocol for a phase IIb, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Journal Article
BMC Cancer, 18 (1), pp. 64, 2018.
Vitamin A and E Nutritional Status in Relation to Leptin, Adiponectin, IGF-I and IGF-II in Early Life - a Birth Cohort Study.Journal Article
Sci Rep, 8 (1), pp. 100, 2018, ISSN: 2045-2322.
Cord blood insulin, IGF-I, IGF-II, leptin, adiponectin and ghrelin, and their associations with insulin sensitivity, β-cell function and adiposity in infancy.Journal Article
Diabet Med, 35 (10), pp. 1412-1419, 2018, ISSN: 0742-3071.
Maternal Circulating Placental Growth Factor and Neonatal Metabolic Health Biomarkers in Small for Gestational Age Infants.Journal Article
Front Endocrinol (Lausanne), 9 , pp. 198, 2018.
F2-isoprostanes and fatty acids profile in early pregnancy complicated by pre-existing diabetes.Journal Article
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids, 135 , pp. 115-120, 2018, ISSN: 0952-3278.
Dietary fats and F2-isoprostanes: A review of the clinical evidence.Journal Article
Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr, 57 (18), pp. 3929-3941, 2017, ISSN: 1040-8398.
Modulation of the biomarkers of inflammation and oxidative stress by ruminant trans fatty acids and dairy proteins in vascular endothelial cells (HUVEC).Journal Article
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids, 126 , pp. 64-71, 2017, ISSN: 0952-3278.
Increased placental phospholipase A2 gene expression and free F2-isoprostane levels in response to oxidative stress in preeclampsia.Journal Article
Placenta, 55 , pp. 54-62, 2017, ISSN: 0143-4004.
Influence of Amino Acids in Dairy Products on Glucose Homeostasis: The Clinical Evidence.Journal Article
Can J Diab, 41 (3), pp. 329-337, 2017, ISSN: 1499-2671.
Alterations of fatty acid profiles in gestational diabetes and influence of the diet.Journal Article
Maturitas, 99 , pp. 98-104, 2017, ISSN: 0378-5122.
- Interaction between environment, diet, physical activities, and sexual habits, in the risk of prostate cancer. Validation of biomarkers to personnalize preventive interventions., Subvention, Société de recherche sur le cancer, Compétition GRePEC (SRC/FRSQ/MDEIE), from 2012-10-01 to 2020-08-31
- Isoprostanes and phospholipases A2: Roles in the pathophysiology of preeclampsia, Subvention, Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada, Subvention Projet, from 2017-04-01 to 2022-03-31
- Maternal Omega-3 supplementation to reduce Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia in very Preterm Infants : A Randomized controlled trial (MOBYDIck trial)., Subvention, Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada, Subvention de fonctionnement, from 2014-07-01 to 2021-03-31
Recently finished projects
- Confocal microscopy platform for longitudinal imaging of pathological changes in ALS mouse models, Partenariat, Fondation Canadienne pour l'innovation (La), Fonds des leaders John-R.-Evans (FLJR), from 2018-12-14 to 2019-04-30
- Rencontre scientifique internationale conjointe SQLNM / CMDO 2019, Subvention, Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada, Activités de dissémination, from 2018-12-01 to 2019-11-30