Dr. Pierre J. Durand graduated from the Faculty of Medicine at Laval University in 1977. He completed a training in Family Medicine in 1979 and practiced on the lower north shore of the St. Lawrence for 3 years before undertaking a triple training in Community Health, Geriatrics and Epidemiology at the University of Grenoble, Laval University, and McMaster University. He has been working for more than 35 years as a clinician for seniors who suffer from loss of autonomy. In 1992, as a Professor in the Department of Social and Preventive Medicine at Laval University’s School of Medicine, he developed the geriatric research unit at the Centre Hospitalier Affilié Universitaire de Québec. He led the Quebec research network on aging from 2000 to 2002, at which time he was appointed Dean of the School of Medicine at Laval University. He successively held the positions of Director of the research center of the Centre Hospitalier Affilié Universitaire de Québec from 1996 to 1999, Director of the Faculty of Medicine from 1998 to 2002, and dean of the Faculty of Medicine at Laval University from 1998 to 2010. He established and chaired Laval University’s integrated university health network (RUIS-UL) during his deanship, from 2002 to 2010. The RUIS-UL aims to optimize the offer of initial medical training and continues to meet the needs of the healthcare network through training and research. His research program focused on clinical practices in residential and long-term care settings, as well as on integrated networks of services for the elderly suffering from loss of autonomy. He is currently working on best practices for end-of-life care and support for people with advanced dementia.
Since 2011, he has been the scientific Director of the Centre d’excellence sur le vieillissement de Québec and chaired the National sectoral council of integrated university health networks on aging in Quebec (2011-2016). From 2011 to 2016, he led the management of social accountability and professionalism of the School of Medicine at Laval University. He is a professor at the Faculty of Medicine of Laval University and Director of the Department of Social and Preventive Medicine. He was awarded the 2015 Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada mentor of the year award, the 2014 Quebec society of geriatrics recognition award, and the 2011 Collège des médecins du Québec grand prix of excellence, which is presented annually to a physician with outstanding achievements that made a difference in the lives of both patients and healthcare professionals. He is researcher emeritus of the FRQS network for research on aging.
1050, chemin Sainte-Foy
Canada G1S 4L8
Recherche intervention évaluative visant l'optimisation de l'environnement psychosocial et organisationnel du travail du personnel soignantBook
Frail elderly patients. New model for integrated service delivery.Journal Article
Can Fam Physician, 49 , pp. 992-7, 2003, ISSN: 0008-350X.
PRISMA: a new model of integrated service delivery for the frail older people in Canada.Journal Article
Int J Integr Care, 3 , pp. e08, 2003.
[Assessment of the implementation of an innovative experience: network of integrated services for the elderly in the Bois-Franc region.].Journal Article
Sante Ment Que, 27 (2), pp. 109-35, 2002, ISSN: 0383-6320.
- Centre de recherche du CHU de Québec - Université Laval, Subvention, Centre hospitalier universitaire de Québec - Université Laval, Centres de recherche affiliés, from 2017-01-01 to 2099-12-31
- Centre de recherche sur les soins et les services de première ligne de l'Université Laval, Subvention, CIUSSS - CN - Centre de recherche sur les soins et les services de première ligne de l'ULaval, Centres de recherche affiliés, from 2017-01-01 to 2099-12-31
- Quebec Knowledge Network in integrated primary health care (Réseau-1 Québec), Subvention, Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada, Autre : Réseau de la SRAP sur les innovations en soins de santé de première ligne et intégrés, from 2015-04-01 to 2022-03-31
Recently finished projects
- Compensation financière participation projet scientifique CERSSPL-UL Pierre Durand, Subvention, CIUSSS - CN - Centre de recherche sur les soins et les services de première ligne de l'ULaval, from 2017-12-01 to 2019-11-30
- Improving the housing decision process with frail patients and their caregivers before hospital discharge , Subvention, Fonds de recherche du Québec - Santé, Réseaux thématiques de recherche, from 2018-07-14 to 2019-12-31