Dr. Pierre J. Durand graduated from the Faculty of Medicine at Laval University in 1977. He completed a training in Family Medicine in 1979 and practiced on the lower north shore of the St. Lawrence for 3 years before undertaking a triple training in Community Health, Geriatrics and Epidemiology at the University of Grenoble, Laval University, and McMaster University. He has been working for more than 35 years as a clinician for seniors who suffer from loss of autonomy. In 1992, as a Professor in the Department of Social and Preventive Medicine at Laval University’s School of Medicine, he developed the geriatric research unit at the Centre Hospitalier Affilié Universitaire de Québec. He led the Quebec research network on aging from 2000 to 2002, at which time he was appointed Dean of the School of Medicine at Laval University. He successively held the positions of Director of the research center of the Centre Hospitalier Affilié Universitaire de Québec from 1996 to 1999, Director of the Faculty of Medicine from 1998 to 2002, and dean of the Faculty of Medicine at Laval University from 1998 to 2010. He established and chaired Laval University’s integrated university health network (RUIS-UL) during his deanship, from 2002 to 2010. The RUIS-UL aims to optimize the offer of initial medical training and continues to meet the needs of the healthcare network through training and research. His research program focused on clinical practices in residential and long-term care settings, as well as on integrated networks of services for the elderly suffering from loss of autonomy. He is currently working on best practices for end-of-life care and support for people with advanced dementia.
Since 2011, he has been the scientific Director of the Centre d’excellence sur le vieillissement de Québec and chaired the National sectoral council of integrated university health networks on aging in Quebec (2011-2016). From 2011 to 2016, he led the management of social accountability and professionalism of the School of Medicine at Laval University. He is a professor at the Faculty of Medicine of Laval University and Director of the Department of Social and Preventive Medicine. He was awarded the 2015 Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada mentor of the year award, the 2014 Quebec society of geriatrics recognition award, and the 2011 Collège des médecins du Québec grand prix of excellence, which is presented annually to a physician with outstanding achievements that made a difference in the lives of both patients and healthcare professionals. He is researcher emeritus of the FRQS network for research on aging.
1050, chemin Sainte-Foy
Canada G1S 4L8
Engaging Caregivers in Health-Related Housing Decisions for Older Adults With Cognitive Impairment: A Cluster Randomized Trial.Journal Article
Gerontologist, 2019, ISSN: 0016-9013.
Key stakeholders' views on the quality of care and services available to frail seniors in Canada.Journal Article
BMC Geriatr, 18 (1), pp. 290, 2018.
Quasi-experimental evaluation of a multifaceted intervention to improve quality of end-of-life care and quality of dying for patients with advanced dementia in long-term care institutions.Journal Article
Palliat Med, 32 (3), pp. 613-621, 2018, ISSN: 0269-2163.
What Do Clinical Supervisors Require to Teach Residents in Family Medicine How to Care for Seniors?Journal Article
Can J Aging, 37 (1), pp. 32-49, 2018, ISSN: 0714-9808.
"Please listen to me": A cross-sectional study of experiences of seniors and their caregivers making housing decisions.Journal Article
PLoS ONE, 13 (8), pp. e0202975, 2018.
Implementing shared decision-making in interprofessional home care teams (the IPSDM-SW study): protocol for a stepped wedge cluster randomised trial.Journal Article
BMJ Open, 6 (11), pp. e014023, 2016.
Medication Use Among Nursing Home Residents With Severe Dementia: Identifying Categories of Appropriateness and Elements of a Successful Intervention.Journal Article
J Am Med Dir Assoc, 16 (7), pp. 629.e1-17, 2015, ISSN: 1525-8610.
Vieillissement : Défis pour le réseauJournal Article
Le Point en administration de la santé et des services sociaux, 10 (3), pp. 6-10, 2014, ISSN: 1912-9874.
Soins à domicile: Une synthèse des connaissances pour répondre à des questions priorisées aux paliers local et centralBook
INSPQ, CEVQ, Université Laval, Québec, 2013.
Éléments de bonnes pratiques de soins palliatifs en CHSLDJournal Article
Cahiers francophones de soins palliatifs, 12 (2), pp. 36-49, 2012, ISSN: 1916-1824.
- Centre de recherche sur les soins et les services de première ligne de l'Université Laval (CERSSPL-UL), Subvention, CIUSSS - CN - Centre de recherche sur les soins et les services de première ligne de l'ULaval, Centres de recherche affiliés, from 2017-01-01 to 2099-12-31
- Centres hospitaliers universitaires de Québec - Université Laval, Subvention, Centre hospitalier universitaire de Québec - Université Laval, Centres de recherche affiliés, from 2017-01-01 to 2099-12-31
- Compensation financière participation projet scientifique CERSSPL-UL Pierre Durand, Subvention, CIUSSS - CN - Centre de recherche sur les soins et les services de première ligne de l'ULaval, from 2017-12-01 to 2019-11-30
- Institut sur le vieillissement et la participation sociale des aînés, Subvention, Institutionnel - BDR, Instituts reconnus, from 2002-06-01 to 2024-04-30
- Quebec Knowledge Network in integrated primary health care (Réseau-1 Québec), Subvention, Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada, Autre : Réseau de la SRAP sur les innovations en soins de santé de première ligne et intégrés, from 2015-04-01 to 2022-03-31
Recently finished projects
- Implementing shared decision making in interprofessional home care teams., Subvention, Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada, Subvention de fonctionnement, from 2014-07-01 to 2018-06-30
- Institut universitaire de première ligne en santé et services sociaux., Subvention, Fonds de recherche du Québec - Société et culture, Soutien aux infrastructures de recherche des Instituts et des Centres affiliés universitaires du secteur social, from 2014-04-01 to 2019-03-31