Since 2015, Dr. Toren has worked as a clinician-scientist in the Department of Surgery at Laval University, where his laboratory focuses on translational prostate cancer research. He completed his medical training at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario, urology residency and a clinical uro-oncology fellowship at the University of Toronto. Subsequently, he completed a two-year research fellowship at the Vancouver Prostate Centre, under the mentorship of Dr. Martin Gleave. Concurrently, he enrolled in, and recently completed a doctorate in experimental medicine in Dr. Amina Zoubeidi’s laboratory.
The influence of sex steroids on the tumor environment
Androgens and estrogens are important to prostate cancer progression and treatment resistance. Through the analysis of various sex steroids such as testosterone and estrogens, we seek to better understand the hormonal changes which occur following treatment in prostate cancer patients. Further, we seek to understand how differences in these levels between patients may be used to classify them for optimal treatments and understand resistance patterns. We use laboratory models to understand the effect of sex steroids on the local immune environment and production of cytokines regulating the survival and growth of prostate cancer.
Extracellular vesicles as biomarkers
Extracellular vesicles, such as exosomes, are tiny parts of cells which may be detected in many biological fluids, including urine and blood. Using samples from prostate cancer patients, we seek to optimize isolation, enumeration, and characterization techniques. Versatile and containing a significant amount of information pertinent to cancer type and function, these tiny particles may eventually be used to monitor information about responsiveness to treatments through a simple blood test.
6, rue McMahon
Canada G1R 2J6
- Boibessot, ClovisDoctoral studentL'Hôtel-Dieu de Québec+1 418-525-4444, extension email@example.com@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
10, rue McMahon
Canada G1R 3S3
- Gilbert, SophieEmployeesophie.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kourbanhoussen, KassimFellowkassim.email@example.com@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
Comparison of epidural and intravenous patient controlled analgesia in patients undergoing radical cystectomy.Journal Article
Can J Urol, 16 (4), pp. 4716-20, 2009, ISSN: 1195-9479.
Is 24-hour urinary calcium a surrogate marker for dietary calcium intake?Journal Article
Urology, 65 (3), pp. 459-62, 2005, ISSN: 0090-4295.
Cyclophosphamide induced hemorrhagic cystitis successfully treated with pentosanpolysulphate.Journal Article
J Urol, 173 (1), pp. 103, 2005, ISSN: 0022-5347.
The patient presenting with genitourinary AIDS (Chapter 17)Book Chapter
Supportive Care for the Urology Patient, Oxfort University Press, 2005, ISBN: 9780198529415.
- (FRSQ 91289) Androgen-receptor dependent changes in human bladder cancer macrophages.” , Subvention, Northeastern Section of the American Urological Association, from 2019-09-04 to 2021-09-03
- Centre de recherche du CHU de Québec - Université Laval, Subvention, Centre hospitalier universitaire de Québec - Université Laval, Centres de recherche affiliés, from 2017-01-01 to 2099-12-31
- Centre de recherche sur le cancer, Subvention, Institutionnel - BDR, BDR - Centres de recherche reconnus, from 1996-05-01 to 2022-06-13
- Development of next-generation biomarkers for prostate cancer treatment, Partenariat, Fondation Canadienne pour l'innovation (La), Fonds des leaders John-R.-Evans (FLJR), from 2019-07-01 to 2020-12-31
- Sex steroids as modulators of the prostate cancer immune microenvironment, Subvention, Société de recherche sur le cancer, Subvention de fonctionnement, from 2018-09-01 to 2020-08-31
Recently finished projects
- Enhancing bladder cancer immunotherapy efficacy in men using bicalutamide, Subvention, Société de recherche sur le cancer, from 2018-12-01 to 2019-11-30
- Investiguer les facteurs moléculaires qui influencent la progression du cancer de la prostate, Subvention, Clinique d'urologie Berger S.E.N.C., from 2016-03-31 to 2019-06-30
- Investiguer les facteurs moléculaires qui influencent la progression du cancer de la prostate., Subvention, Fonds de recherche du Québec - Santé, Chercheurs-boursiers cliniciens - Juniors 1 et 2, Seniors, from 2016-07-01 to 2020-06-30
- Investiguer les facteurs moléculaires qui influencent la progression du cancer de la prostate., Subvention, Fonds de recherche du Québec - Santé, Établissement de jeunes chercheurs - Juniors 1, from 2016-07-01 to 2019-06-30