Since 2015, Dr. Toren has worked as a clinician-scientist in the Department of Surgery at Laval University, where his laboratory focuses on translational prostate cancer research. He completed his medical training at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario, urology residency and a clinical uro-oncology fellowship at the University of Toronto. Subsequently, he completed a two-year research fellowship at the Vancouver Prostate Centre, under the mentorship of Dr. Martin Gleave. Concurrently, he enrolled in, and recently completed a doctorate in experimental medicine in Dr. Amina Zoubeidi’s laboratory.
The influence of sex steroids on the tumor environment
Androgens and estrogens are important to prostate cancer progression and treatment resistance. Through the analysis of various sex steroids such as testosterone and estrogens, we seek to better understand the hormonal changes which occur following treatment in prostate cancer patients. Further, we seek to understand how differences in these levels between patients may be used to classify them for optimal treatments and understand resistance patterns. We use laboratory models to understand the effect of sex steroids on the local immune environment and production of cytokines regulating the survival and growth of prostate cancer.
Extracellular vesicles as biomarkers
Extracellular vesicles, such as exosomes, are tiny parts of cells which may be detected in many biological fluids, including urine and blood. Using samples from prostate cancer patients, we seek to optimize isolation, enumeration, and characterization techniques. Versatile and containing a significant amount of information pertinent to cancer type and function, these tiny particles may eventually be used to monitor information about responsiveness to treatments through a simple blood test.
6, rue McMahon
Canada G1R 2J6
Data not available
- Boibessot, ClovisDoctoral studentL'Hôtel-Dieu de Québec+1 418-525-4444, extension email@example.com@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
10, rue McMahon
Canada G1R 3S3
- Gilbert, SophieEmployeesophie.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joncas, France-HélèneEmployeeL'Hôtel-Dieu de Québec+1 418-525-4444, extension 20406France-Helene.Joncas@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
10, rue McMahon
Canada G1R 3S3
Plasma extracellular vesicles as phenotypic biomarkers in prostate cancer patients.Journal Article
Prostate, 79 (15), pp. 1767-1776, 2019, ISSN: 0270-4137.
Receipt of 5-Alpha Reductase Inhibitors Before Radical Cystectomy: Do They Render High-Grade Bladder Tumors Less Aggressive?Journal Article
Clin Genitourin Cancer, 2019, ISSN: 1558-7673.
Switching from a GnRH agonist to a GnRH antagonist in prostate cancer patients: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Journal Article
Can Urol Assoc J, 2019, ISSN: 1911-6470.
PEG10 is associated with treatment-induced neuroendocrine prostate cancer.Journal Article
J Mol Endocrinol, 63 (1), pp. 39-49, 2019, ISSN: 0952-5041.
Use and duration of antibiotic prophylaxis and the rate of urinary tract infection after radical cystectomy for bladder cancer: Results of a multicentric series.Journal Article
Urol Oncol, 37 (5), pp. 300.e9-300.e15, 2019, ISSN: 1078-1439.
Neutrophil-to-lymphocyte Ratio as a Predictive Marker of Response to Abiraterone Acetate: A Retrospective Analysis of the COU302 Study.Journal Article
Eur Urol Oncol, 2019, ISSN: 2588-9311.
Images - Sclerosing mesenteritis presenting with unilateral hydro-ureteronephrosis.Journal Article
Can Urol Assoc J, pp. E306-E308, 2019, ISSN: 1911-6470.
Discordance between testosterone measurement methods in castrated prostate cancer patients.Journal Article
Endocr Connect, 2019, ISSN: 2049-3614.
Charlson Comorbidity Index as a Predictor of Cancer Mortality Beyond 10 Years after Radical ProstatectomyJournal Article
Clin Oncol (Belmont), 4 , pp. 1638 (5 pages), 2019.
Serum Sex Steroids as Prognostic Biomarkers in Patients Receiving Androgen Deprivation Therapy for Recurrent Prostate Cancer: A Post Hoc Analysis of the PR.7 Trial.Journal Article
Clin Cancer Res, 24 (21), pp. 5305-5312, 2018, ISSN: 1078-0432.
- Centre de recherche du CHU de Québec - Université Laval, Subvention, Centre hospitalier universitaire de Québec - Université Laval, Centres de recherche affiliés, from 2017-01-01 to 2099-12-31
- Centre de recherche sur le cancer, Subvention, Institutionnel - BDR, BDR - Centres de recherche reconnus, from 1996-05-01 to 2023-04-30
- Development of next-generation biomarkers for prostate cancer treatment, Partenariat, Fondation Canadienne pour l'innovation (La), Fonds des leaders John-R.-Evans (FLJR), from 2019-07-01 to 2020-12-31
- Enhancing bladder cancer immunotherapy efficacy in men using bicalutamide, Subvention, Société de recherche sur le cancer, from 2018-12-01 to 2019-11-30
- Investiguer les facteurs moléculaires qui influencent la progression du cancer de la prostate., Subvention, Fonds de recherche du Québec - Santé, Chercheurs-boursiers cliniciens - Juniors 1 et 2, Seniors, from 2016-07-01 to 2020-06-30
- Sex steroids as modulators of the prostate cancer immune microenvironment, Subvention, Société de recherche sur le cancer, Subvention de fonctionnement, from 2018-09-01 to 2020-08-31
Recently finished projects
- (FRSQ 82683)"Ex Vivo culture as a model to study the prostate tumor microenvironment", Subvention, Canadian Urologic Oncology Group, from 2018-09-04 to 2019-03-31
- Circulating extracellular vesicles as biomarkers in CRPC patients, Subvention, Canadian Urological Association Scholarship Foundation, CUA Astellas Research Grant Program 2017, from 2017-09-01 to 2018-08-31
- Investiguer les facteurs moléculaires qui influencent la progression du cancer de la prostate, Subvention, Clinique d'urologie Berger S.E.N.C., from 2016-03-31 to 2019-06-30
- Investiguer les facteurs moléculaires qui influencent la progression du cancer de la prostate., Subvention, Fonds de recherche du Québec - Santé, Établissement de jeunes chercheurs - Juniors 1, from 2016-07-01 to 2019-06-30
- Programme de soutien aux nouveaux chercheurs de la Faculté de médecine, Subvention, Université Laval - démarrage nouveau chercheur, Soutien facultaire aux jeunes chercheurs de la Faculté de médecine, from 2017-01-01 to 2018-12-31
- The role of serum steroids in the development of castrate resistant prostate cancer: a secondary analysis of the PR.7 trial, Subvention, Cancer de la prostate Canada, Subventions d'équipe Movember (Movember Discovery Grants), from 2016-07-01 to 2018-06-30