Since 2015, Dr. Toren has worked as a clinician-scientist in the Department of Surgery at Laval University, where his laboratory focuses on translational prostate cancer research. He completed his medical training at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario, urology residency and a clinical uro-oncology fellowship at the University of Toronto. Subsequently, he completed a two-year research fellowship at the Vancouver Prostate Centre, under the mentorship of Dr. Martin Gleave. Concurrently, he enrolled in, and recently completed a doctorate in experimental medicine in Dr. Amina Zoubeidi’s laboratory.
The influence of sex steroids on the tumor environment
Androgens and estrogens are important to prostate cancer progression and treatment resistance. Through the analysis of various sex steroids such as testosterone and estrogens, we seek to better understand the hormonal changes which occur following treatment in prostate cancer patients. Further, we seek to understand how differences in these levels between patients may be used to classify them for optimal treatments and understand resistance patterns. We use laboratory models to understand the effect of sex steroids on the local immune environment and production of cytokines regulating the survival and growth of prostate cancer.
Extracellular vesicles as biomarkers
Extracellular vesicles, such as exosomes, are tiny parts of cells which may be detected in many biological fluids, including urine and blood. Using samples from prostate cancer patients, we seek to optimize isolation, enumeration, and characterization techniques. Versatile and containing a significant amount of information pertinent to cancer type and function, these tiny particles may eventually be used to monitor information about responsiveness to treatments through a simple blood test.
6, rue McMahon
Canada G1R 2J6
- Berrehail, ZohraDoctoral firstname.lastname@example.org
- Boibessot, ClovisDoctoral studentL'Hôtel-Dieu de Québec+1 418-525-4444, extension email@example.com@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
10, rue McMahon
Canada G1R 3S3
- Gris, TyphainePostdoctoral firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ouellet, JadeEmployeeHôpital Saint-Sacrement+1 418-525-4444, extension email@example.com
1050 Chemin Sainte-Foy
Canada G1S 4L8
Images - Para-aortic lymphatic ectasia suggestive of testicular cancer retroperitoneal metastasis.Journal Article
Can Urol Assoc J, 15 (1), pp. E76-E78, 2021, ISSN: 1911-6470.
Switching Cancers: A Systematic Review Assessing the Role of Androgen Suppressive Therapy in Bladder Cancer.Journal Article
Eur Urol Focus, 2020.
Building a Canadian Translational Bladder Cancer Research Network.Journal Article
Can Urol Assoc J, 14 (10), pp. E475-E481, 2020, ISSN: 1911-6470.
A prospective, multisite study analyzing the percentage of urological cases that can be completely managed by telemedicine.Journal Article
Can Urol Assoc J, 14 (10), pp. 319-321, 2020, ISSN: 1911-6470.
Androgen receptor and immune cell PD-L1 expression in bladder tumors predicts disease recurrence and survival.Journal Article
World J Urol, 2020, ISSN: 0724-4983.
EDITORIAL COMMENT.Journal Article
Urology, 138 , pp. 97, 2020, ISSN: 0090-4295.
Switching from a gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) agonist to a GnRH antagonist in prostate cancer patients: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Journal Article
Can Urol Assoc J, 14 (2), pp. 36-41, 2020, ISSN: 1911-6470.
Neutrophil-to-lymphocyte Ratio as a Predictive Marker of Response to Abiraterone Acetate: A Retrospective Analysis of the COU302 Study.Journal Article
Eur Urol Oncol, 3 (3), pp. 298-305, 2020, ISSN: 2588-9311.
Extragonadal Steroids Contribute Significantly to Androgen Receptor Activity and Development of Castration Resistance in Recurrent Prostate Cancer after Primary Therapy.Journal Article
J Urol, 203 (5), pp. 940-948, 2020, ISSN: 0022-5347.
PEG10 is associated with treatment-induced neuroendocrine prostate cancer.Journal Article
J Mol Endocrinol, 63 (1), pp. 39-49, 2019, ISSN: 0952-5041.
- (FRSQ 91289) Androgen-receptor dependent changes in human bladder cancer macrophages.” , Subvention, Northeastern Section of the American Urological Association, from 2019-09-04 to 2021-09-03
- Centre de recherche du CHU de Québec - Université Laval, Subvention, Centre hospitalier universitaire de Québec - Université Laval, Centres de recherche affiliés, from 2017-01-01 to 2099-12-31
- Centre de recherche sur le cancer, Subvention, Institutionnel - BDR, BDR - Centres de recherche reconnus, from 1996-05-01 to 2022-06-13
- Sex steroids as modulators of the prostate cancer immune microenvironment, Subvention, Société de recherche sur le cancer, Subvention de fonctionnement, from 2018-09-01 to 2021-08-31
Recently finished projects
- Development of next-generation biomarkers for prostate cancer treatment, Partenariat, Fondation Canadienne pour l'innovation (La), Fonds des leaders John-R.-Evans (FLJR), from 2019-07-01 to 2020-12-31
- Enhancing bladder cancer immunotherapy efficacy in men using bicalutamide, Subvention, Société de recherche sur le cancer, from 2018-12-01 to 2019-11-30
- Investiguer les facteurs moléculaires qui influencent la progression du cancer de la prostate, Subvention, Clinique d'urologie Berger S.E.N.C., from 2016-03-31 to 2019-06-30
- Investiguer les facteurs moléculaires qui influencent la progression du cancer de la prostate., Subvention, Fonds de recherche du Québec - Santé, Chercheurs-boursiers cliniciens - Juniors 1 et 2, Seniors, from 2016-07-01 to 2020-06-30
- Investiguer les facteurs moléculaires qui influencent la progression du cancer de la prostate., Subvention, Fonds de recherche du Québec - Santé, Établissement de jeunes chercheurs - Juniors 1, from 2016-07-01 to 2019-06-30