Since 2015, Dr. Toren has worked as a clinician-scientist in the Department of Surgery at Laval University, where his laboratory focuses on translational prostate cancer research. He completed his medical training at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario, urology residency and a clinical uro-oncology fellowship at the University of Toronto. Subsequently, he completed a two-year research fellowship at the Vancouver Prostate Centre, under the mentorship of Dr. Martin Gleave. Concurrently, he enrolled in, and recently completed a doctorate in experimental medicine in Dr. Amina Zoubeidi’s laboratory.
The influence of sex steroids on the tumor environment
Androgens and estrogens are important to prostate cancer progression and treatment resistance. Through the analysis of various sex steroids such as testosterone and estrogens, we seek to better understand the hormonal changes which occur following treatment in prostate cancer patients. Further, we seek to understand how differences in these levels between patients may be used to classify them for optimal treatments and understand resistance patterns. We use laboratory models to understand the effect of sex steroids on the local immune environment and production of cytokines regulating the survival and growth of prostate cancer.
Extracellular vesicles as biomarkers
Extracellular vesicles, such as exosomes, are tiny parts of cells which may be detected in many biological fluids, including urine and blood. Using samples from prostate cancer patients, we seek to optimize isolation, enumeration, and characterization techniques. Versatile and containing a significant amount of information pertinent to cancer type and function, these tiny particles may eventually be used to monitor information about responsiveness to treatments through a simple blood test.
6, rue McMahon
Canada G1R 2J6
Data not available
- Boibessot, ClovisDoctoral studentL'Hôtel-Dieu de Québec+1 418-525-4444, extension firstname.lastname@example.org
10, rue McMahon
Canada G1R 3S3
- Gilbert, SophieEmployee
- Joncas, France-HélèneEmployeeL'Hôtel-Dieu de Québec+1 418-525-4444, extension 20406France-Helene.Joncas@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
10, rue McMahon
Canada G1R 3S3
- Voyer, StéphanieEmployeeL'Hôtel-Dieu de Québec+1 418-525-4444, extension 15281
9 Rue Mcmahon
Canada G1R 3S3
Discordance between testosterone measurement methods in castrated prostate cancer patients.Journal Article
Endocr Connect, 2019, ISSN: 2049-3614.
Serum Sex Steroids as Prognostic Biomarkers in Patients Receiving Androgen Deprivation Therapy for Recurrent Prostate Cancer: A Post Hoc Analysis of the PR.7 Trial.Journal Article
Clin Cancer Res, 24 (21), pp. 5305-5312, 2018, ISSN: 1078-0432.
Prognostic value of urinary prostate cancer antigen 3 (PCA3) during active surveillance of patients with low-risk prostate cancer receiving 5α-reductase inhibitors.Journal Article
BJU Int, 121 (3), pp. 399-404, 2018, ISSN: 1464-4096.
Sex steroids in the tumor microenvironment and prostate cancer progression.Journal Article
Endocr Relat Cancer, 25 (3), pp. R179-R196, 2018, ISSN: 1351-0088.
Contemporary outcomes of palliative transurethral resection of the prostate in patients with locally advanced prostate cancer.Journal Article
Urol Oncol, 36 (8), pp. 363.e7-363.e11, 2018, ISSN: 1078-1439.
- (FRSQ 82683)"Ex Vivo culture as a model to study the prostate tumor microenvironment", Subvention, Canadian Urologic Oncology Group, from 2018-09-04 to 2019-03-31
- Centre de recherche sur le cancer, Subvention, Institutionnel - BDR, BDR - Centres de recherche reconnus, from 1996-05-01 to 2023-04-30
- Centre hospitalier universitaire de Québec - Université Laval, Subvention, Centre hospitalier universitaire de Québec - Université Laval, Centres de recherche affiliés, from 2017-01-01 to 2099-12-31
- Enhancing bladder cancer immunotherapy efficacy in men using bicalutamide, Subvention, Société de recherche sur le cancer, from 2018-12-01 to 2019-11-30
- Investiguer les facteurs moléculaires qui influencent la progression du cancer de la prostate, Subvention, Clinique d'urologie Berger S.E.N.C., from 2016-03-31 to 2019-06-30
- Investiguer les facteurs moléculaires qui influencent la progression du cancer de la prostate., Subvention, Fonds de recherche du Québec - Santé, Chercheurs-boursiers cliniciens - Juniors 1 et 2, Seniors, from 2016-07-01 to 2020-06-30
- Investiguer les facteurs moléculaires qui influencent la progression du cancer de la prostate., Subvention, Fonds de recherche du Québec - Santé, Établissement de jeunes chercheurs - Juniors 1, from 2016-07-01 to 2019-06-30
- Sex steroids as modulators of the prostate cancer immune microenvironment, Subvention, Société de recherche sur le cancer, Subvention de fonctionnement, from 2018-09-01 to 2020-08-31
Recently finished projects
- (FRSQ 74425) Modelling the effects of sex steroids on prostate cancer immunology, Subvention, Canadian Urologic Oncology Group, from 2016-10-06 to 2017-10-05
- Circulating extracellular vesicles as biomarkers in CRPC patients, Subvention, Canadian Urological Association Scholarship Foundation, CUA Astellas Research Grant Program 2017, from 2017-09-01 to 2018-08-31
- Do sex steroid serum levels following ADT initiation predict the development of castrate resistant prostate cancer, Subvention, Urology Care Foundation, from 2016-07-01 to 2017-06-30
- Programme de soutien aux nouveaux chercheurs de la Faculté de médecine, Subvention, Université Laval - démarrage nouveau chercheur, Soutien facultaire aux jeunes chercheurs de la Faculté de médecine, from 2017-01-01 to 2018-12-31
- The impact of sex steroid precursors and selective CYP17A1 inhibition on mechanisms of prostate cancer resistance, Subvention, Canadian Urological Association Scholarship Foundation, from 2015-07-08 to 2017-06-30
- The role of serum steroids in the development of castrate resistant prostate cancer: a secondary analysis of the PR.7 trial, Subvention, Cancer de la prostate Canada, Subventions d'équipe Movember (Movember Discovery Grants), from 2016-07-01 to 2018-06-30