Patrick J. Rochette is a regular researcher at the Research Centre of the CHU of Quebec – Laval University, in the area of regenerative medicine, of which he is the assistant director. He is also Associate Professor and Assistant Director of Basic Research in the Department of Ophthalmology and ENT – head and neck surgery of the Faculty of Medicine at Laval University. He completed his graduate studies (MSc / PhD) in the laboratory of Dr. Regen Drouin (U. Laval), where he studied the induction and repair of UV-induced damage. He pursued his training with 2 postdoctoral fellowships at Yale University, including one in the laboratory of Dr. Douglas Brash, a pioneer in the study of UV-induced mutations in cutaneous cancer. His second fellowship took place in Dr. Yilun Liu ‘s laboratory, where he worked on the RecQ4 helicase in the initiation of DNA replication. He joined Laval University in 2009 and started a laboratory where he specialized in photobiology and, more precisely, on the consequences of cell exposure to low-wavelength light rays (ultraviolet and blue). In humans, only the skin and eyes are exposed to these rays. Thus, Dr. Rochette’s laboratory is interested in two fields of study, ocular photobiology and cutaneous photobiology.
At the cutaneous level, skin cells are used as a model to study the mechanisms of protection against the genotoxicity of sunlight. These mechanisms include the induction of mutagenic damage, its repair, and induced cell death as a protective mechanism. In this part of the laboratory, the projects pursued are, among others, the following:
– Influence of the dermis on the efficacy of repair techniques of UV-induced mutagenic damage to the epidermis;
– Effect of chronic UVB irradiation on the cellular genotoxic stress response;
– Necroptosis as a new UV-induced, programmed cell death pathway;
– Involvement of UVA, alone or in synergy with polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) contained in cigarette smoke in cutaneous photoaging.
At the ocular level, Dr. Rochette’s research is mostly applied. It aims to understand the involvement of UV and blue light in various ocular pathologies. As UV light does not reach the adult retina, blue light is the most energetic light it is exposed to. In this part of the laboratory, the projects pursued are, among others, the following:
– UVA toxicity in the cornea, involvement of UV-Induced oxidation;
– Involvement of mitochondrial dysfunction in Fuchs corneal endothelial dystrophy;
– Involvement of blue light, alone or in synergy with lipofuscin and / or PAHs in age-related macular degeneration (AMD).
1050, chemin Sainte-Foy
Canada G1S 4L8
- Aid, LydiaInternlydia.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gary, Anne-sophieDoctoral email@example.com@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
- Lambert, Marie-ChristineDoctoral studentHôpital Saint-Sacrement+1 firstname.lastname@example.org@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
1050, chemin Sainte-Foy
Canada G1S 4L8
- Méthot, SébastienDoctoral email@example.com@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
- Montoni, AliciaEmployee+1 418-525-4444, extension 48384+1 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zinflou, CorinneDoctoral studentHôpital Saint-Sacrement+1 418-682-7511, extension email@example.com@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
1050 Chemin Sainte-Foy
Canada G1S 4L8
The T414G mitochondrial DNA mutation: a biomarker of aging in human eye.Journal Article
Mutagenesis, 2021, ISSN: 0267-8357.
The use of tissue-engineered skin to demonstrate the negative effect of CXCL5 on epidermal ultraviolet radiation-induced cyclobutane pyrimidine dimer repair efficiency.Journal Article
Br J Dermatol, 184 (1), pp. 123-132, 2021, ISSN: 0007-0963.
Apoptosis, the only cell death pathway that can be measured in human diploid dermal fibroblasts following lethal UVB irradiation.Journal Article
Sci Rep, 10 (1), pp. 18946, 2020, ISSN: 2045-2322.
Effect of laser pulse shaping on photoacoustic dosimetry in retinal models.Journal Article
Biomed Opt Express, 11 (11), pp. 6590-6604, 2020.
Chronology of cellular events related to mitochondrial burnout leading to cell death in Fuchs endothelial corneal dystrophy.Journal Article
Sci Rep, 10 (1), pp. 5811, 2020, ISSN: 2045-2322.
Potential of sub-microsecond laser pulse shaping for controlling microcavitation in selective retinal therapies.Journal Article
Biomed Opt Express, 11 (1), pp. 109-132, 2020.
Absorption of blue light by cigarette smoke components is highly toxic for retinal pigmented epithelial cells.Journal Article
Arch Toxicol, 93 (2), pp. 453-465, 2019, ISSN: 0340-5761.
Chronic UVA1 Irradiation of Human Dermal Fibroblasts: Persistence of DNA Damage and Validation of a Cell Cultured-Based Model of Photoaging.Journal Article
J Invest Dermatol, 139 (8), pp. 1821-1824.e3, 2019, ISSN: 0022-202X.
Impact of ultraviolet radiation on dermal and epidermal DNA damage in a human pigmented bilayered skin substitute.Journal Article
J Tissue Eng Regen Med, 13 (12), pp. 2300-2311, 2019, ISSN: 1932-6254.
Extracellular Matrix and Integrin Expression Profiles in Fuchs Endothelial Corneal Dystrophy Cells and Tissue Model.Journal Article
Tissue Eng Part A, 24 (7-8), pp. 607-615, 2018, ISSN: 1937-3341.
- Centre de recherche du CHU de Québec - Université Laval, Subvention, Centre hospitalier universitaire de Québec - Université Laval, Centres de recherche affiliés, from 2017-01-01 to 2099-12-31
- Fuchs endothelial corneal dystrophy and corneal transplantation: The traditional paradigm revisited, Subvention, Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada, Subvention Projet, from 2019-10-01 to 2024-09-30
- Réponse cellulaire au stress génotoxique induit par l'irradiation chronique aux rayons ultraviolets., Subvention, Conseil de recherches en sciences naturelles et génie Canada, Subventions à la découverte SD (individuelles et d'équipe), from 2016-04-01 to 2021-03-31
Recently finished projects
- Centre de recherche en organogenèse expérimentale, Subvention, Institutionnel - BDR, BDR - Centres de recherche reconnus, from 2011-05-01 to 2020-12-31
- Toxicité des rayons solaires dans l'oeil humain., Subvention, Fonds de recherche du Québec - Santé, Chercheur-boursier Juniors 1 et 2, Seniors, from 2016-07-01 to 2020-06-30