Patrick Couture received his medical degree from Laval University in Quebec City. He completed his residency in Internal Medicine and a PhD in physiology at Laval University and the University of Montreal before heading to Tufts University in Boston, MA, for a research fellowship at the Jean-Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging. Upon returning to Quebec City, he joined the CHU Research Center and the Institute of Nutrition and Functional Foods, where he contributed to the establishment of a clinical research center focused on nutrition and lipoprotein metabolism. Dr. Couture is currently a professor in Laval University’s School of Medicine, and he was the director of the university’s residency training program in internal medicine from 2007 to 2012. Dr. Couture is currently the director of the Lipid Apheresis Program at the Laval University Medical Center, and he is also involved in the clinical care of patients with various lipoprotein disorders.
Investigate the impact of dietary fatty acids on lipoprotein metabolism in patients with diabetes
Diabetes and pre-diabetes are metabolic disorders affecting more than 15% of the world’s population. The prevalence of these disorders is currently on the rise, mainly due to the increasingly sedentary lifestyles associated with rising obesity rates and aging of the population. Because diabetes and pre-diabetes are so closely associated with major health problems such as high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol and cardiovascular disease, they have a tremendous impact on society’s healthcare costs. Significant efforts should therefore be dedicated to tackling this problem from a societal perspective. Dr. Couture’s interests in nutrition led him to uncover the effects of various dietary fatty acids on lipoprotein kinetics and on the expression of key genes involved in intestinal lipid metabolism in patients with diabetes and pre-diabetes. His work is funded by grants from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Fonds de recherche du Québec (Santé) and industry.
Education & certification
- MD, Laval University, Québec City.
- License from the College of Physicians of Quebec (General Practice).
- License from the Medical Council of Canada (L.M.C.C.).
- FLEX (The Federation Licensing Examination) certification, New York State.
- MSc in physiology (molecular endocrinology), Laval University, Québec City. Research Project: Regulation of 17ß-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activity in human breast cancer. Supervisors: Drs. Jacques Simard and Fernand Labrie.
- American Board of Internal Medicine certification.
- Residency in Internal Medicine (1998-1993) at Laval University and University of Montréal. The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada certification (Internal Medicine).
- License of the College of Physicians of Quebec (Internal Medicine).
- PhD in physiology, Laval University, Québec City. Research project: Molecular genetics and phenotypic expression of familial hypercholesterolemia and protein C deficiency in French Canadians. Supervisors: Drs. Jacques Simard and Sital Moorjani.
- Fellowship, Lipid Metabolism Laboratory, Jean Mayer-USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, 711 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA. Research project: Genetic polymorphisms associated with variations in plasma lipoproteins and coronary heart disease risk in the Framingham Offspring Study. Supervisors: Drs. Ernst J. Schaefer and Jose Ordovas.
2705, boulevard Laurier
Canada G1V 4G2
- Les IRSC investissent 7,6 M$ pour 9 projets de recherche du CRCHU 2019-01-28
- Deux suppléments font chou blanc : Des extraits de raisin et de curcuma ne parviennent pas à contrer l’inflammation qui suit un repas riche en gras 2018-03-29
- Le coeur penche pour le DHA : Une étude met en lumière l’apport spécifique de cet oméga-3 contre les maladies cardiométaboliques 2016-05-05
Comparing Interviewer-Administered and Web-Based Food Frequency Questionnaires to Predict Energy Requirements in Adults.Journal Article
Nutrients, 10 (9), 2018, ISSN: 2072-6643.
Differential associations between plasma concentrations of insulin and glucose and intestinal expression of key genes involved in chylomicron metabolism.Journal Article
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol, 315 (2), pp. G177-G184, 2018, ISSN: 0193-1857.
High-Dose DHA Has More Profound Effects on LDL-Related Features Than High-Dose EPA: The ComparED Study.Journal Article
J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 103 (8), pp. 2909-2917, 2018, ISSN: 0021-972X.
Diets Low in Saturated Fat with Different Unsaturated Fatty Acid Profiles Similarly Increase Serum-Mediated Cholesterol Efflux from THP-1 Macrophages in a Population with or at Risk for Metabolic Syndrome: The Canola Oil Multicenter Intervention Trial.Journal Article
J Nutr, 148 (5), pp. 721-728, 2018, ISSN: 0022-3166.
Saturated Fats from Butter but Not from Cheese Increase HDL-Mediated Cholesterol Efflux Capacity from J774 Macrophages in Men and Women with Abdominal Obesity.Journal Article
J Nutr, 148 (4), pp. 573-580, 2018, ISSN: 0022-3166.
A common variant in ARHGEF10 alters delta-6 desaturase activity and influence susceptibility to hypertriglyceridemia.Journal Article
J Clin Lipidol, 12 (2), pp. 311-320.e3, 2018, ISSN: 1933-2874.
Supplementation with Resveratrol and Curcumin Does Not Affect the Inflammatory Response to a High-Fat Meal in Older Adults with Abdominal Obesity: A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Crossover Trial.Journal Article
J Nutr, 148 (3), pp. 379-388, 2018, ISSN: 0022-3166.
Impact of lipoprotein apheresis with dextran-sulfate adsorption on the expression of genes involved in cardiovascular health in the blood of patients with homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia.Journal Article
J Clin Apher, 33 (1), pp. 104-107, 2018, ISSN: 0733-2459.
Imputation of Baseline LDL Cholesterol Concentration in Patients with Familial Hypercholesterolemia on Statins or Ezetimibe.Journal Article
Clin Chem, 64 (2), pp. 355-362, 2018, ISSN: 0009-9147.
Substitution of dietary ω-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids for saturated fatty acids decreases LDL apolipoprotein B-100 production rate in men with dyslipidemia associated with insulin resistance: a randomized controlled trial.Journal Article
Am J Clin Nutr, 107 (1), pp. 26-34, 2018, ISSN: 0002-9165.
- Canada-Wide Human nutrition trialists' network, Subvention, Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada, Subventions de recherche programmatique sur l’alimentation et la santé, from 2014-06-01 to 2021-03-31
- Centre de recherche du CHU de Québec - Université Laval, Subvention, Centre hospitalier universitaire de Québec - Université Laval, Centres de recherche affiliés, from 2017-01-01 to 2099-12-31
- Centre de recherche en sciences et technologie du lait, Subvention, Institutionnel - BDR, BDR - Centres de recherche reconnus, from 1996-06-01 to 2024-03-05
- Differential effects of saturated and monounsaturated fatty acids on chylomicron secretion and the expression of key genes that regulate intestinal lipid metabolism in insulin-resistant subjects, Subvention, Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada, Subvention Projet, from 2019-04-01 to 2022-03-31
- Mediterranean diet and physical activity: is the whole better than the sum of each part ? Clinical and mechanistic perspectives, Subvention, Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada, Subvention Projet, from 2018-04-01 to 2025-03-31
- Nutrition, santé et société (NUTRISS), Subvention, Fonds de recherche du Québec - Santé, Nouveaux Centres et Instituts de recherche - Subventions régulières, from 2019-04-01 to 2024-03-31
- The effect of an enhanced dietary portfolio flus exercise on cardiovascular risk in high risk individuals, Subvention, Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada, Subvention de fonctionnement, from 2013-10-01 to 2021-03-31
Recently finished projects
- Homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia (HoFH) in Canada, Subvention, Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada, Subvention Projet, from 2019-12-01 to 2020-03-31
- Qualité nutritionnelle des aliments et déterminants de l'adhésion aux saines habitudes alimentaires, Partenariat, Fondation Canadienne pour l'innovation (La), Fonds d'innovation (FI), from 2015-12-01 to 2020-12-30
- Réunions scientifiques de médecine du CHUL, Subvention, Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc., from 2019-04-01 to 2020-03-31