Patrick Couture received his medical degree from Laval University in Quebec City. He completed his residency in Internal Medicine and a PhD in physiology at Laval University and the University of Montreal before heading to Tufts University in Boston, MA, for a research fellowship at the Jean-Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging. Upon returning to Quebec City, he joined the CHU Research Center and the Institute of Nutrition and Functional Foods, where he contributed to the establishment of a clinical research center focused on nutrition and lipoprotein metabolism. Dr. Couture is currently a professor in Laval University’s School of Medicine, and he was the director of the university’s residency training program in internal medicine from 2007 to 2012. Dr. Couture is currently the director of the Lipid Apheresis Program at the Laval University Medical Center, and he is also involved in the clinical care of patients with various lipoprotein disorders.
Investigate the impact of dietary fatty acids on lipoprotein metabolism in patients with diabetes
Diabetes and pre-diabetes are metabolic disorders affecting more than 15% of the world’s population. The prevalence of these disorders is currently on the rise, mainly due to the increasingly sedentary lifestyles associated with rising obesity rates and aging of the population. Because diabetes and pre-diabetes are so closely associated with major health problems such as high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol and cardiovascular disease, they have a tremendous impact on society’s healthcare costs. Significant efforts should therefore be dedicated to tackling this problem from a societal perspective. Dr. Couture’s interests in nutrition led him to uncover the effects of various dietary fatty acids on lipoprotein kinetics and on the expression of key genes involved in intestinal lipid metabolism in patients with diabetes and pre-diabetes. His work is funded by grants from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Fonds de recherche du Québec (Santé) and industry.
Education & certification
- MD, Laval University, Québec City.
- License from the College of Physicians of Quebec (General Practice).
- License from the Medical Council of Canada (L.M.C.C.).
- FLEX (The Federation Licensing Examination) certification, New York State.
- MSc in physiology (molecular endocrinology), Laval University, Québec City. Research Project: Regulation of 17ß-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activity in human breast cancer. Supervisors: Drs. Jacques Simard and Fernand Labrie.
- American Board of Internal Medicine certification.
- Residency in Internal Medicine (1998-1993) at Laval University and University of Montréal. The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada certification (Internal Medicine).
- License of the College of Physicians of Quebec (Internal Medicine).
- PhD in physiology, Laval University, Québec City. Research project: Molecular genetics and phenotypic expression of familial hypercholesterolemia and protein C deficiency in French Canadians. Supervisors: Drs. Jacques Simard and Sital Moorjani.
- Fellowship, Lipid Metabolism Laboratory, Jean Mayer-USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, 711 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA. Research project: Genetic polymorphisms associated with variations in plasma lipoproteins and coronary heart disease risk in the Framingham Offspring Study. Supervisors: Drs. Ernst J. Schaefer and Jose Ordovas.
2705, boulevard Laurier
Canada G1V 4G2
- Les IRSC investissent 7,6 M$ pour 9 projets de recherche du CRCHU 2019-01-28
- Deux suppléments font chou blanc : Des extraits de raisin et de curcuma ne parviennent pas à contrer l’inflammation qui suit un repas riche en gras 2018-03-29
- Le coeur penche pour le DHA : Une étude met en lumière l’apport spécifique de cet oméga-3 contre les maladies cardiométaboliques 2016-05-05
Genetic risk prediction of the plasma triglyceride response to independent supplementations with eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids: the ComparED Study.Journal Article
Genes Nutr, 15 (1), pp. 10, 2020, ISSN: 1555-8932.
Effects of regular-fat and low-fat dairy consumption on daytime ambulatory blood pressure and other cardiometabolic risk factors: a randomized controlled feeding trial.Journal Article
Am J Clin Nutr, 111 (1), pp. 42-51, 2020, ISSN: 0002-9165.
Prevention of Potential Adverse Metabolic Effects of a Supplementation with Omega-3 Fatty Acids Using a Genetic Score Approach.Journal Article
Lifestyle Genom, 13 (1), pp. 32-42, 2020.
Omega-3 fatty acids: new insights into the impact of eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids on lipid and lipoprotein metabolism.Journal Article
Curr Opin Lipidol, 31 (1), pp. 38-39, 2020, ISSN: 0957-9672.
Plasma biomarkers of small intestine adaptations in obesity-related metabolic alterations.Journal Article
Diabetol Metab Syndr, 12 , pp. 31, 2020, ISSN: 1758-5996.
Common Variants in Lipid Metabolism-Related Genes Associate with Fat Mass Changes in Response to Dietary Monounsaturated Fatty Acids in Adults with Abdominal Obesity.Journal Article
J Nutr, 149 (10), pp. 1749-1756, 2019, ISSN: 0022-3166.
Development and validation of a Brief Diet Quality Assessment Tool in the French-speaking adults from Quebec.Journal Article
Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act, 16 (1), pp. 61, 2019.
Lipoprotein(a), Oxidized Phospholipids, and Aortic Valve Microcalcification Assessed by 18F-Sodium Fluoride Positron Emission Tomography and Computed Tomography.Journal Article
CJC Open, 1 (3), pp. 131-140, 2019, ISSN: 2589-790X.
Diets Enriched with Conventional or High-Oleic Acid Canola Oils Lower Atherogenic Lipids and Lipoproteins Compared to a Diet with a Western Fatty Acid Profile in Adults with Central Adiposity.Journal Article
J Nutr, 149 (3), pp. 471-478, 2019, ISSN: 0022-3166.
Assessing the impact of the diet on cardiometabolic outcomes: are multiple measurements post-intervention necessary?Journal Article
Eur J Clin Nutr, 73 (11), pp. 1546-1550, 2019, ISSN: 0954-3007.
- Canada-Wide Human nutrition trialists' network, Subvention, Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada, Subventions de recherche programmatique sur l’alimentation et la santé, from 2014-06-01 to 2021-03-31
- Centre de recherche du CHU de Québec - Université Laval, Subvention, Centre hospitalier universitaire de Québec - Université Laval, Centres de recherche affiliés, from 2017-01-01 to 2099-12-31
- Centre de recherche en sciences et technologie du lait, Subvention, Institutionnel - BDR, BDR - Centres de recherche reconnus, from 1996-06-01 to 2024-03-05
- Differential effects of saturated and monounsaturated fatty acids on chylomicron secretion and the expression of key genes that regulate intestinal lipid metabolism in insulin-resistant subjects, Subvention, Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada, Subvention Projet, from 2019-04-01 to 2022-03-31
- Mediterranean diet and physical activity: is the whole better than the sum of each part ? Clinical and mechanistic perspectives, Subvention, Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada, Subvention Projet, from 2018-04-01 to 2023-03-31
- Nutrition, santé et société (NUTRISS), Subvention, Fonds de recherche du Québec - Santé, Nouveaux Centres et Instituts de recherche - Subventions régulières, from 2019-04-01 to 2024-03-31
- The effect of an enhanced dietary portfolio flus exercise on cardiovascular risk in high risk individuals, Subvention, Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada, Subvention de fonctionnement, from 2013-10-01 to 2021-03-31
Recently finished projects
- Qualité nutritionnelle des aliments et déterminants de l'adhésion aux saines habitudes alimentaires, Partenariat, Fondation Canadienne pour l'innovation (La), Fonds d'innovation (FI), from 2015-12-01 to 2020-06-30
- Réunions scientifiques de médecine du CHUL, Subvention, Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc., from 2019-04-01 to 2020-03-31