Enthused by her bachelor’s degree in Physics, Dr. Desjardins obtained her PhD in biomedical engineering from Université Pierre et Marie Curie (Paris 6) and École Polytechnique de Montréal, followed by a post-doctoral training at the University of California in San Diego. She is now an Assistant Professor in the Département de physique, de génie physique, et d’optique at Université Laval and a researcher at the Centre de Recherche du CHU de Québec-Université Laval. Her research focuses on the imaging of vasculature and oxygenation.
A window on the brain
Our cells need oxygen to function. A change in tissue oxygenation levels can thus be a sign of various pathologies. However, to this day, few methods are available to directly measure oxygenation in biological tissues. Dr. Desjardins’ research takes advantage of a newly developed technique to measure oxygenation in mouse brain using two-photon microscopy. This method allows us to observe the development of physiological or pathological phenomena with time. She also develops biophysical models describing the links between blood flow, oxygenation, and metabolism.
In her lab, these methods are used to study the link between neuronal activity, oxygenation, and blood flow in the brain. This application is made possible by combining oxygenation measurement with light stimulation of neurons in the brains of genetically-modified mice. Another application is following the development of a tumor in a mouse cancer model. By observing the evolution of tumor blood vessels and their effect on oxygenation levels, this research will improve our understanding of the mechanisms of tumor development, with the hope of guiding future therapies.
2705, boulevard Laurier
Canada G1V 4G2
Data not available
- Cimon-Picard, Louis-AlexisInternlouisfirstname.lastname@example.org
- Dion, FrédéricMaster studentCHULfrederic.email@example.com
2705 Boulevard Laurier
Canada G1V 4G2
- Gagnon, LouisEmployee+1 418-525-4444, extension 42296Louis.Gagnon.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gendron, ValérieInternvalerie.email@example.com
- Guilbert, JérémieMaster firstname.lastname@example.org@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
- Lévesque, Jean-PhilippeMaster email@example.com
- Schwarz, Pierre-OlivierInternpierrefirstname.lastname@example.org
- Sévigny, BernardInternbernard.email@example.com
Preliminary investigation of multispectral retinal tissue oximetry mapping using a hyperspectral retinal camera.Journal Article
Exp Eye Res, 146 , pp. 330-40, 2016, ISSN: 0014-4835.
Shedding light on the effect of priority instructions during dual-task performance in younger and older adults: A fNIRS study.Journal Article
Brain Cogn, 98 , pp. 1-14, 2015, ISSN: 0278-2626.
Higher levels of cardiovascular fitness are associated with better executive function and prefrontal oxygenation in younger and older women.Journal Article
Front Hum Neurosci, 9 , pp. 66, 2015.
Hearts and minds: linking vascular rigidity and aerobic fitness with cognitive aging.Journal Article
Neurobiol Aging, 36 (1), pp. 304-14, 2015, ISSN: 0197-4580.
Aging-related differences in cerebral capillary blood flow in anesthetized rats.Journal Article
Neurobiol Aging, 35 (8), pp. 1947-55, 2014, ISSN: 0197-4580.
Multimodal study of the hemodynamic response to hypercapnia in anesthetized aged rats.Journal Article
Neurosci Lett, 563 , pp. 33-7, 2014, ISSN: 0304-3940.
An Exploration of the Effect of Hemodynamic Changes Due to Normal Aging on the fNIRS Response to Semantic Processing of Words.Journal Article
Front Neurol, 5 , pp. 249, 2014, ISSN: 1664-2295.
Near-infrared imaging of the effects of glucose ingestion and regulation on prefrontal activation during dual-task execution in healthy fasting older adults.Journal Article
Behav Brain Res, 232 (1), pp. 137-47, 2012, ISSN: 0166-4328.
Changes in diffusion path length with old age in diffuse optical tomography.Journal Article
J Biomed Opt, 17 (5), pp. 056002, 2012, ISSN: 1083-3668.
Investigation of diffuse correlation spectroscopy in multi-layered media including the human head.Journal Article
Opt Express, 16 (20), pp. 15514-30, 2008.
- Centre de recherche sur le cancer, Subvention, Institutionnel - BDR, BDR - Centres de recherche reconnus, from 1996-05-01 to 2022-06-13
- Centre thématique de recherche en neurosciences, Subvention, Institutionnel - BDR, BDR - Centres de recherche reconnus, from 1999-06-01 to 2023-05-01
- Développent de méthodes d'imagerie multimodale vasculaire et de l'oxygénation, Subvention, Conseil de recherches en sciences naturelles et génie Canada, Subventions à la découverte SD (individuelles et d'équipe), from 2018-04-01 to 2023-03-31
- Mesures et modélisation de l'oxygénation dans les réseaux vasculaires tumoraux, Subvention, Fonds de recherche du Québec - Nature et technologies, Établissement de la relève professorale, from 2019-04-01 to 2021-03-31