Marie-Josée Sirois is an occupational therapist and epidemiologist, as well as a professor in the Department of Rehabilitation of the School of Medicine at Laval University. She is a clinical researcher with the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, and a regular researcher at the CRCHU of Quebec, as well as at the Centre d’Excellence sur le Vieillissement de Québec (CEVQ). Dr. Sirois’ clinical research program aims to maintain the mobility and functioning of frail and traumatized seniors by improving their care in emergency departments and in the community. Her preferred methods are large clinical cohort studies, intervention trials, and the use of large administrative databases.
Aging, injuries and loss of autonomy
In Canada, it is estimated that every year, about 80 out of every 1,000 seniors suffer from an injury; 60% of these injuries are related to falls and restrict the mobility of these people. Motor vehicle accidents are also a major cause of injuries that compromise the mobility of seniors.
At this time, while the vast majority (65%) of those aged 65 who have suffered minor- injuries return home following a consultation at the emergency room, there is no method to evaluate the risk of functional decline, nor a standardized and effective method of management (assessment and intervention) in emergency departments for this population. Epidemiology, clinical course, appropriate emergency services, and the need for follow-up services following emergency visits of seniors with minor injuries remain poorly understood. Furthermore, scientific literature indicates that active and independent seniors who have suffered injuries are likely to limit their activities for fear of getting injured again. This activity restriction may result in physical deconditioning or loss of social interaction, which are known risk factors for functional and mobility decline. Thus, minor trauma could be a precursor to functional disorders and an overall reduction in the quality of life in the elderly.
Canada G1J 1Z4
Frailty and health services use among Quebec seniors with non-hip fractures: a population-based study using adminsitrative databases.Journal Article
BMC Health Serv Res, 19 (1), pp. 70, 2019.
Is the Drug Burden Index Related to Declining Functional Status at Follow-up in Community-Dwelling Seniors Consulting for Minor Injuries? Results from the Canadian Emergency Team Initiative Cohort Study.Journal Article
Drugs Aging, 36 (1), pp. 73-83, 2019, ISSN: 1170-229X.
Using the Bergman-Paris Question to screen seniors in the emergency department.Journal Article
CJEM, 20 (5), pp. 753-761, 2018, ISSN: 1481-8035.
Depression in the First Year after Traumatic Brain Injury.Journal Article
J Neurotrauma, 35 (14), pp. 1620-1629, 2018, ISSN: 0897-7151.
Comparing the effects of a home-based exercise program using a gerontechnology to a community-based group exercise program on functional capacities in older adults after a minor injury.Journal Article
Exp Gerontol, 108 , pp. 41-47, 2018, ISSN: 0531-5565.
Preventing emergency department (ED) visits and hospitalisations of older adults with cognitive impairment compared with the general senior population: what do we know about avoidable incidents? Results from a scoping review.Journal Article
BMJ Open, 8 (4), pp. e019908, 2018.
Post-acute care referral and inpatient rehabilitation admission criteria for persons with brain injury across two Canadian provinces.Journal Article
Disabil Rehabil, 40 (6), pp. 697-704, 2018, ISSN: 0963-8288.
Mobility assessments of geriatric emergency department patients: A systematic review.Journal Article
CJEM, 20 (3), pp. 353-361, 2018, ISSN: 1481-8035.
Feasibility, Acceptability and Effects of a Home-Based Exercise Program Using a Gerontechnology on Physical Capacities after a Minor Injury in Community-Living Older Adults: A Pilot Study.Journal Article
J Nutr Health Aging, 22 (1), pp. 16-25, 2018, ISSN: 1279-7707.
Frailty Assessment to Help Predict Patients at Risk of Delirium When Consulting the Emergency Department.Journal Article
J Emerg Med, 55 (2), pp. 157-164, 2018, ISSN: 0736-4679.
- Centre de recherche sur les soins et les services de première ligne de l'Université Laval (CERSSPL-UL), Subvention, CIUSSS - CN - Centre de recherche sur les soins et les services de première ligne de l'ULaval, Centres de recherche affiliés, from 2017-01-01 to 2099-12-31
- Centre hospitalier universitaire de Québec - Université Laval, Subvention, Centre hospitalier universitaire de Québec - Université Laval, Centres de recherche affiliés, from 2017-01-01 to 2099-12-31
- Connecting Emergency Departments with Community services to prevent mobility losses in pre-frail & frail Seniors (CEDeComS), Subvention, Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada, Volet Projet: Concours pilotes, from 2016-07-01 to 2020-06-30
- Four Year Embedded Clinician Researcher Program, Subvention, Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada, Bourse salariale de clinicien-chercheur intégré, from 2016-09-01 to 2020-12-31
- Portrait et évolution des besoins en soins traumatologiques chez l'aîné: du pré-hospitalier à la réadaptation., Subvention, Fonds de recherche du Québec - Santé, Consortium pour le développement de la recherche en traumatologie, from 2016-04-01 to 2019-03-31
- Santé mentale après un traumatisme craniocérébral chez les personnes âgées et leurs proches aidants., Subvention, Fonds de recherche du Québec - Santé, Consortium pour le développement de la recherche en traumatologie, from 2017-04-01 to 2020-03-31
- Supporting the creation of a LEARNing INteGrated health system to mobilize context-adapted knowledge with a Wiki platform to Improve the transitions of frail Seniors from from hospitals and emergency Departments to the cOMmunity : The ..., Subvention, Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada, Subvention Projet, from 2017-04-01 to 2021-03-31
Recently finished projects
- Depression 2 to 4 years after traumatic brain injury: a longitudinal study of psychosocial predictors, impacts, and barriers to access mental health resources., Subvention, Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada, Subvention de fonctionnement, from 2013-01-01 to 2018-03-31