Pr. Fradette has been a regular researcher at the CRCHU de Québec-Laval University since 2005, and a full professor of the Department of Surgery of the Laval University School of Medicine. After a bachelor’s degree in biochemistry (1991-1994, U Laval) and a PhD in cellular and molecular biology focused on the study of skin epithelial stem cells (1994-1999, U Laval, with L. Germain, LOEX), she acquired a specialization in gene therapy during her postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Pittsburgh (1999-2004, with J. Glorioso III, U Pittsburgh, PA, USA). Her current research program is based on the use of human adipose-derived stromal/stem cells in regenerative medicine. Since September of 2015, she has been the director of the ThéCell network, the province of Quebec network for cell and tissue therapy supported by the FRQS.
Development of human reconstructed tissues as 3D discovery models and for clinical applications
Pr. Fradette’s current research program is based on the use of a new and abundant source of multipotential cells: the adipose-derived stromal/stem cells (ASCs). Using tissue-engineering techniques, her team uses ASCs to recreate human tissue which is needed in reconstructive surgery, such as skin, adipose, and bone-like tissue. For example, human adipose substitutes recreating the 3D tissular context in vitro are useful discovery tools for pharmaco-toxicological studies on the metabolic regulation of human adipocytes. Moreover, adipose tissues are reconstructed with the important goal of being used in the clinic as soft-tissue fillers to repair tissue loss, in cases of deep burns or tumor removal (including mastectomy). The resulting tissues are all human, and devoid of exogenous biomaterials.
Her research interests include a better understanding of the cellular interactions between adipocytes and endothelial cells, the effects of inflammatory conditions on blood capillaries and adipocyte metabolism, the impact of human ECM components on the adipogenic differentiation of ASCs, and how MMPs can influence tissue remodeling, under normal and inflammatory conditions. Current studies performed in her laboratory aim at promoting the vascularisation of thick reconstructed tissues produced under xenogenic-free culture conditions for clinical applications. Ongoing preclinical studies assess the efficacy of tissue-engineered biological dressings to accelerate the healing of skin wounds.
In collaboration with D.r M. Fortin and Dr. FA. Auger, her team also produces bone-like substitutes from ASCs.
Local R-221 LOEX / CMDGT
Canada G1J 1Z4
- Diaz, CandiceMaster studentHôpital de l'Enfant-Jésuscandice.email@example.com@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
1401 18e Rue
Canada G1J 1Z4
- Gabra, NathalieMaster firstname.lastname@example.org
- Safoine, MeryemDoctoral studentHôpital de l'Enfant-Jésus+1 418-990-8255, extension email@example.com@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
1401, 18e Rue
Canada G1J 1Z4
- Trottier, ValérieEmployeeHôpital de l'Enfant-Jésus+1 418-525-4444, extension 81991+1 418-990-8255, extension 61679+1 418-990-8248Valerie.Trottier@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
1401, 18e Rue
Canada G1J 1Z4
Isolation and Culture of Human Dermal Microvascular Endothelial Cells.Journal Article
Methods Mol Biol, 1993 , pp. 79-90, 2019, ISSN: 1064-3745.
Short-term post-implantation dynamics of in vitro engineered human microvascularized adipose tissues.Journal Article
Biomed Mater, 13 (6), pp. 065013, 2018, ISSN: 1748-6041.
Tissue-engineered 3D melanoma model with blood and lymphatic capillaries for drug development.Journal Article
Sci Rep, 8 (1), pp. 13191, 2018, ISSN: 2045-2322.
Self-assembled human osseous cell sheets as living biopapers for the laser-assisted bioprinting of human endothelial cells.Journal Article
Biofabrication, 10 (3), pp. 035006, 2018, ISSN: 1758-5082.
Inflammatory Cytokine Profiles in Visceral and Subcutaneous Adipose Tissues of Obese Patients Undergoing Bariatric Surgery Reveal Lack of Correlation With Obesity or Diabetes.Journal Article
EBioMedicine, 30 , pp. 237-247, 2018, ISSN: 2352-3964.
Biomimetic Tissue-Engineered Bone Substitutes for Maxillofacial and Craniofacial Repair: The Potential of Cell Sheet Technologies.Journal Article
Adv Healthc Mater, 7 (6), pp. e1700919, 2018, ISSN: 2192-2640.
High Definition Confocal Imaging Modalities for the Characterization of Tissue-Engineered Substitutes.Journal Article
Methods Mol Biol, 1773 , pp. 93-105, 2018, ISSN: 1064-3745.
Strategies to promote the vascularization of skin substitutes after transplantation (Chapter 8)Book Chapter
AP, Marques; RP, Pirraco; MT, Cerqueira; RL, Reis (Ed.): Skin Tissue Models, pp. 177-200, London Academic Press, 2018, ISBN: 9780128105450 (paper) / 9780128110003 (eBook).
Corrigendum to "Inflammatory cytokine profiles in visceral and subcutaneous adipose tissues of obese patients undergoing bariatric surgery reveal lack of correlation with obesity or diabetes" EBioMedicine 30C (2018) 237-247.Journal Article
EBioMedicine, 37 , pp. 564-568, 2018, ISSN: 2352-3964.
A Cell-Based Self-Assembly Approach for the Production of Human Osseous Tissues from Adipose-Derived Stromal/Stem Cells.Journal Article
Adv Healthc Mater, 6 (4), 2017, ISSN: 2192-2640.
- Centre de recherche en arthrite de l'Université Laval, Subvention, Institutionnel - BDR, BDR - Entités de recherche en émergence, from 2019-01-01 to 2020-01-31
- Centre de recherche en organogenèse expérimentale, Subvention, Institutionnel - BDR, BDR - Centres de recherche reconnus, from 2011-05-01 to 2020-09-22
- Centre hospitalier universitaire de Québec - Université Laval, Subvention, Centre hospitalier universitaire de Québec - Université Laval, Centres de recherche affiliés, from 2017-01-01 to 2099-12-31
- Tissue Engineering of a functional Urethra for Autologous Reconstruction, Subvention, Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada, Subvention Projet, from 2018-04-01 to 2022-03-31
Recently finished projects
- Analyse de la guérison de plaies cutanées induites par la radiation, Subvention, Fondation du CHU de Québec, from 2018-03-14 to 2018-03-31
- Correction des courbures péniennes par génie tissulaire., Subvention, Fonds de recherche du Québec - Santé, Réseaux thématiques de recherche, from 2015-09-10 to 2017-09-09
- Elucidation of the functional rôle of Complement Factor D in Acute Myeloid Leukemia, Subvention, Société de leucémie et lymphome du Canada, from 2017-07-01 to 2018-06-30
- Stratégies de préconditionnement tissulaire afin de mitiger les effets de l’inflammation post-implantation et augmenter le succès des greffes de tissus adipeux, Subvention, Fondation de l'Université Laval, from 2016-09-15 to 2018-09-14
- Use of adipose-derived stem cells and hyperbaric oxygen therapy to enhance healing of skin wounds in irradiated tissues, Subvention, Instituts de recherche en santé du Canada, Programme de subvention Catalyseur, from 2017-03-01 to 2018-02-28