Holly Witteman, PhD, is an Associate Professor in the Department of Family & Emergency Medicine, Université Laval (Laval University), Quebec City, Canada. Quebec City is traditional territory of the Huron-Wendat, Abenaki, Wabanaki Confederacy, Wolastoqiyik (Maliseet) & Haudenosaunee peoples. Dr. Witteman directs the research unit within the Faculty of Medicine’s Office of Education and Professional Development. She is also a scientist at the Research Centre of the CHU de Québec-Université Laval, at the new Institute of Primary Care Research affiliated with Laval University, and an Affiliate Investigator at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Ottawa, Canada, traditional Algonquin territory.
With an interdisciplinary background in human factors engineering and social sciences, her research is about the design and evaluation of digital and other media in health decision making. She specializes in human-computer interaction in health education, risk communication and decision making, including design methods to support inclusive user- and patient-centeredness.
Her work as Principal Investigator has been funded by the Fonds de recherche du Québec – Santé (FRQS), the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI, United States), the Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI), and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR).
Design for Better Health
The project consists of developing and evaluating novel, needed tools to support evidence-informed, values-congruent decisions in primary care. These tools will be used in modules (mobile-enabled web applications) to support six (6) common decisions in primary care. Emotional and cognitive effects of these tools will be evaluated to ensure they evoke desired responses (e.g., reduced confusion, increased rates of evidence-informed, values-congruent decisions). The modules’ usability and user experience will also be evaluated to ensure they are useful, easy to use and engaging, as these are critical predictors of future use, and collect pilot data to inform plans for further evaluation beyond this program.
10, rue de l'Espinay
Canada G1L 3L5
- Étienne, DorianeDoctoral student
- Hakim, HinaDoctoral email@example.com@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
- Mousavi, SeyedmostafaMaster student
- Ndjaboue, RuthPostdoctoral fellowHôpital Saint-Sacrement+1 418-682-7390+1 firstname.lastname@example.org
1050, chemin Sainte-Foy
Canada G1S 4L8
- Ouertani, Mohamed AmineDoctoral email@example.com
- Vaisson, GratianneMaster studentUniversité Laval+1 firstname.lastname@example.org@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
Vandry, bur 2881
- Vaisson, GratianneDoctoral studentUniversité Laval+1 email@example.com@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
Vandry, bur 2881
Analysis of Supervisors' Feedback to Residents on Communicator, Collaborator, and Professional Roles During Case Discussions.Journal Article
J Grad Med Educ, 13 (2), 2021.
Harmonizing evidence-based practice, implementation context, and implementation strategies with user-centered design: a case example in young adult cancer care.Journal Article
Implement Sci Commun, 2 (1), 2021.
Assessing the quality of mobile applications in chronic disease management: a scoping review.Journal Article
NPJ Digit Med, 4 (1), 2021.
A Pilot Randomized Trial of an Interactive Web-based Tool to Support Surrogate Decision Makers in the Intensive Care Unit.Journal Article
Ann Am Thorac Soc, 18 (7), 2021.
Health effects of climate change: an overview of systematic reviews.Journal Article
BMJ Open, 11 (6), 2021.
Transforming primary care for older Canadians living with frailty: mixed methods study protocol for a complex primary care intervention.Journal Article
BMJ Open, 11 (5), 2021.
An 11-Item Measure of User- and Human-Centered Design for Personal Health Tools (UCD-11): Development and Validation.Journal Article
J Med Internet Res, 23 (3), 2021.
User-centered and theory-based design of a professional training program on shared decision-making with older adults living with neurocognitive disorders: a mixed-methods study.Journal Article
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak, 21 (1), 2021.
Providing culturally safe care to Indigenous people living with diabetes: Identifying barriers and enablers from different perspectives.Journal Article
Health Expect, 24 (2), 2021.
I am ready to see you now, Doctor! A mixed-method study of the Let's Discuss Health website implementation in Primary Care.Journal Article
Health Expect, 24 (2), 2021.
- An intervention using narratives to address vaccine hesitancy online, from 2020-03-01 to 2023-03-31
- Canada Research Chair in Human-Centred Digital Health (Santé numérique axée sur les personnes), from 2019-10-01 to 2024-09-30
- Canadian Immunization Research Network, from 2014-06-01 to 2021-12-31
- Evaluating Innovative Health Care Solutions to Improve Outcomes for Persons with Type 1 Diabetes using a Novel Electronic Data Repository, from 2018-04-01 to 2022-03-31
- Exploring the Existence of Gender Inequity with an Intersectionality Lens in Academic Health Care, Health Sciences and Health Policy and Interventions to Optimise Gender Equity, from 2019-10-01 to 2022-03-31
- Fonds de soutien du Centre de recherche sur les soins et les services de première ligne de l’Université Laval (CERSSPL-UL), from 2018-07-01 to 2022-03-31
- Impacts des cours prénataux de groupe et en ligne : vers une optimisation des services, from 2016-04-01 to 2023-03-31
- Improving patient-centered depression care through the dissemination and implementation of the Depression Choice decision aid, from 2018-10-01 to 2023-03-31
- It’s about protecting my community”: Randomized Controlled Trials of Personalized, Digital Health Vaccination Decision Support, from 2020-12-01 to 2022-03-31
- Manger notre Saint-Laurent - La suite, from 2020-04-01 to 2022-03-31
- Mobilizing and Transferring Knowledge Between Northern Communities and Sentinel North, from 2020-11-01 to 2024-12-31
- Ontario Healthcare Implementation Laboratory: A Learning Health System Approach that Leverages Data to Improve Quality in Primary Care, from 2018-04-01 to 2022-03-31
- Promoting implementation of evidence-based care, from 2015-07-01 to 2022-06-30
- Scaling up shared decision making for patient-centred care, from 2018-07-01 to 2025-06-30
- Unpacking COVID-19 Vaccine Hesitancy in Canada, from 2021-07-01 to 2022-06-30
Recently finished projects
- An Integrated Self-Referral eHealth Strategy for Improving Rapid and Direct Access to Youth Mental Health Services: A stepped-wedge, cluster randomized controles trial in six canadian health care selfings, from 2015-10-01 to 2019-09-30
- Answering questions that matter to people living with diabetes using the Canadian National Diabetes Registry, from 2020-03-01 to 2021-02-28
- Applying Methods of User-Centered Design to Achieve Patient-Centered Care, from 2014-02-01 to 2019-10-31
- Automated screening, triage, and follow-up to facilitate proactive, personalized postpartum mental health treatment for new parents., from 2017-09-01 to 2020-08-31
- Canadian Program for Monitoring Overuse in Injury Care, from 2016-07-01 to 2021-06-30
- Design for Better Health: User-Centred Design and Evaluation of Interactive Media for Health Education, Communication and Decision-Making, from 2016-07-01 to 2021-06-30
- Development and evaluation of tools to support better decision making processes and better health decisions, from 2015-03-01 to 2020-09-30
- Development and initial validation of measures of cancer pain under- and overtreatment, from 2020-04-01 to 2021-03-31
- Manger notre Saint-Laurent, from 2018-04-01 to 2021-03-31
- Scaleable, Customizable, Digital Health Communication Materials to Help Canada Address the COVID19 Pandemic, from 2020-06-01 to 2021-05-31
- Supporting the creation of a LEARNing INteGrated health system to mobilize context-adapted knowledge with a Wiki platform to Improve the transitions of frail Seniors from from hospitals and emergency Departments to the cOMmunity : The ..., from 2017-04-01 to 2021-03-31
- Testing COVID-19 vaccine decision aids with health care workers, from 2021-01-01 to 2021-07-30