Dr. Hermawan earned his PhD in materials engineering from Laval University in 2009. After completing an industrial postdoc, he started his academic career in Asia before returning to Laval University in 2014 as assistant professor in the Department of Materials Engineering and researcher at the CHU de Québec Research Center. His research aims at gaining fundamental understanding on the mechanics and corrosion of biomaterials to better design medical implants.
He is considered as one of the world experts in absorbable metals for medical applications. In the first 5 years of his career, he published more than 50 scientific papers and received more than 1,500 citations. He is an editorial board member for Scientific Reports (Nature) and the Journal of Orthopaedic Translation (Elsevier).
Sponsored by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), he leads a research program on the development of bioactive absorbable metals for high performance biomaterials. In collaboration with urologists from the CHU de Québec, he explores the potential application of these biomaterials to develop new ureteral stents that offer a high radial strength and low tendency of encrustation and bacterial infection. In another direction, bioactive porous absorbable metals are being developed for bone scaffolds that offer an optimal combination of strength and absorbability to support the regeneration of bone tissues.
Canada G1L 3L5
- Rafieipour Alavi, Seyed Mohammad RezaDoctoral studentHôpital Saint-François d'Assise+1 418-525-4444, extension email@example.com@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
10, rue de l'Espinay
Canada G1L 3L5
Mechanical and corrosion properties of partially degradable bone screws made of pure iron and stainless steel 316L by friction weldingJournal Article
Sci China Mater, 61 (4), pp. 593-606, 2018, ISSN: 2095-8226.
Design and characterization of nano and bimodal structured biodegradable Fe-Mn-Ag alloy with accelerated corrosion rateJournal Article
J Alloys Compd, 767 , pp. 955-965, 2018, ISSN: 0925-8388.
Structure, degradation, drug release and mechanical properties relationships of iron-based drug eluting scaffolds: The effects of PLGAJournal Article
Mater Des, 160 , pp. 203-217, 2018, ISSN: 0264-1275.
Antibacterial efficacy of triple-layered poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid)/nanoapatite/lauric acid guided bone regeneration membrane on periodontal bacteria.Journal Article
Dent Mater J, 36 (3), pp. 260-265, 2017, ISSN: 0287-4547.
Monitoring degradation products and metal ions in vivo (Chapter 2)Book Chapter
R, Narayan (Ed.): Monitoring and evaluation of biomaterials and their performance in vivo, pp. 19-44, Duxford, Woodhead Publishing - Elsevier, 2017, ISBN: 9780081006047 / 0081006047.
Investigation on Mechanical Behavior of Biodegradable Iron Foams under Different Compression Test ConditionsJournal Article
Metals (Basel), 7 (6), pp. 202, 2017, ISSN: 2075-4701.
Processing of Zn-3Mg alloy by equal channel angular pressing for biodegradable metal implantsJournal Article
J King Saud Univ Sci, 29 (4), pp. 455-461, 2017, ISSN: 1018-3647.
Drug-eluting coating of ginsenoside Rg1 and Re incorporated poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid) on stainless steel 316L: Physicochemical and drug release analyses.Journal Article
Int J Pharm, 515 (1-2), pp. 460-466, 2016, ISSN: 0378-5173.
Immobilization of antibacterial chlorhexidine on stainless steel using crosslinking polydopamine film: Towards infection resistant medical devices.Journal Article
Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces, 145 , pp. 130-139, 2016, ISSN: 0927-7765.
The effect of hydrogen gas evolution of magnesium implant on the postimplantation mortality of ratsJournal Article
Journal of orthopaedic translation, 5 , pp. 9-15, 2016, ISSN: 2214-031X.
- Centre de recherche du CHU de Québec - Université Laval, Subvention, Centre hospitalier universitaire de Québec - Université Laval, Centres de recherche affiliés, from 2017-01-01 to 2099-12-31
- Centre de recherche sur les matériaux avancés, Subvention, Institutionnel - BDR, BDR - Centres de recherche reconnus, from 1996-06-01 to 2025-04-30
- Centre Québécois sur les Matériaux Fonctionnels (CQMF), Subvention, Fonds de recherche du Québec - Nature et technologies, Regroupements stratégiques NT, from 2017-04-01 to 2023-03-31
- Development and validation of novel bioactive biodegradable metals for high performance biomaterials, Subvention, Conseil de recherches en sciences naturelles et génie Canada, Subventions à la découverte SD (individuelles et d'équipe), from 2017-04-01 to 2022-03-31