Dr. Hermawan earned his PhD in materials engineering from Laval University in 2009. After completing an industrial postdoc, he started his academic career in Asia before returning to Laval University in 2014 as assistant professor in the Department of Materials Engineering and researcher at the CHU de Québec Research Center. His research aims at gaining fundamental understanding on the mechanics and corrosion of biomaterials to better design medical implants.
He is considered as one of the world experts in absorbable metals for medical applications. In the first 5 years of his career, he published more than 50 scientific papers and received more than 1,500 citations. He is an editorial board member for Scientific Reports (Nature) and the Journal of Orthopaedic Translation (Elsevier).
Sponsored by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), he leads a research program on the development of bioactive absorbable metals for high performance biomaterials. In collaboration with urologists from the CHU de Québec, he explores the potential application of these biomaterials to develop new ureteral stents that offer a high radial strength and low tendency of encrustation and bacterial infection. In another direction, bioactive porous absorbable metals are being developed for bone scaffolds that offer an optimal combination of strength and absorbability to support the regeneration of bone tissues.
Canada G1L 3L5
- Paramitha, DeviDoctoral studentHôpital Saint-François d'Assise
10, rue de l'Espinay
Canada G1L 3L5Hôpital de l'Enfant-Jésus+1 418-525-4444, extension 53233+1 418-525-4444, extension firstname.lastname@example.org@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
1401 18 ième Rue
Canada G1J 1Z4
- Rafieipour Alavi, Seyed Mohammad RezaDoctoral studentHôpital Saint-François d'Assise+1 418-525-4444, extension email@example.com@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
10, rue de l'Espinay
Canada G1L 3L5
- Setyo Adji Koesoemowidodo, RadenMaster firstname.lastname@example.org@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
Current status and perspectives of zinc-based absorbable alloys for biomedical applications.Journal Article
Acta Biomater, 2019, ISSN: 1742-7061.
In Vitro Degradation of Absorbable Zinc Alloys in Artificial Urine.Journal Article
Materials (Basel), 12 (2), 2019.
Absorbable metals for cardiovascular applications (Chapter 20)Book Chapter
M, Niinomi (Ed.): Metals for Biomedical Devices 2019, pp. 523-543, Duxford, Oxfordshire, Woodhead Publishing, 2019, ISBN: 9780081026663 (paper) / 9780081026670 (ebook).
Novel antibacterial biodegradable Fe-Mn-Ag alloys produced by mechanical alloying.Journal Article
Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl, 88 , pp. 88-94, 2018, ISSN: 0928-4931.
Updates on the research and development of absorbable metals for biomedical applications.Journal Article
Prog Biomater, 7 (2), pp. 93-110, 2018, ISSN: 2194-0517.
Bioinspired surface functionalization of metallic biomaterials.Journal Article
J Mech Behav Biomed Mater, 77 , pp. 90-105, 2018, ISSN: 1751-6161.
Development and characterization of silver containing calcium phosphate coatings on pure iron foam intended for bone scaffold applicationsJournal Article
Mater Des, 148 , pp. 124-134, 2018, ISSN: 0264-1275.
Monitoring magnesium degradation using microdialysis and fabric-based biosensorJournal Article
Sci China Mater, 61 (4), pp. 643-651, 2018, ISSN: 2095-8226.
Mechanical and corrosion properties of partially degradable bone screws made of pure iron and stainless steel 316L by friction weldingJournal Article
Sci China Mater, 61 (4), pp. 593-606, 2018, ISSN: 2095-8226.
Design and characterization of nano and bimodal structured biodegradable Fe-Mn-Ag alloy with accelerated corrosion rateJournal Article
J Alloys Compd, 767 , pp. 955-965, 2018, ISSN: 0925-8388.
- Centre de recherche sur les matériaux avancés, Subvention, Institutionnel - BDR, BDR - Centres de recherche reconnus, from 1996-06-01 to 2020-04-30
- Centres hospitaliers universitaires de Québec - Université Laval, Subvention, Centre hospitalier universitaire de Québec - Université Laval, Centres de recherche affiliés, from 2017-01-01 to 2099-12-31
- Development and validation of novel bioactive biodegradable metals for high performance biomaterials, Subvention, Conseil de recherches en sciences naturelles et génie Canada, Subventions à la découverte SD (individuelles et d'équipe), from 2017-04-01 to 2022-03-31
- Fusion /Centre Québécois sur les Matériaux Fonctionnels (CQMF/QCAM), Subvention, Fonds de recherche du Québec - Nature et technologies, Regroupements stratégiques NT, from 2017-04-01 to 2023-03-31
Recently finished projects
- Understanding the electrochemistry of biomaterials degradation for advancing innovation in medical implants, Partenariat, Fondation Canadienne pour l'innovation (La), Fonds des leaders John-R.-Evans (FLJR), from 2017-12-01 to 2019-03-31