Dr. Dimcho Bachvarov received his B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees from the University of Sofia in 1975-1978. He obtained his Ph.D. degree in 1986 from the Institute of Molecular Biology at the Bulgarian Academy of Science. In 1994, he was appointed as Adjunct Professor at Laval University’s department of Pharmacology. Consecutively, Dr. Bachvarov was promoted to Assistant Professor (1997), Associate Professor (2002), and since 2005 he has been a Full Professor at Laval University’s Department of Molecular Medicine. During his academic career, Dr. Bachvarov has received different Scholarship Awards, with the most representative being the Ernest J.B. Tomlinson Scholarship Award from the Kidney Foundation of Canada and other Scholarship Awards (Junior and Senior) from Fonds de recherche du Québec – Santé (FRQ-S).
His research interests are focused on studying the initiation and progression mechanisms of epithelial ovarian cancer (EOC) and improving treatment for this deadly disease, including the identification of early diagnostic or prognostic EOC markers. Dr. Bachvarov has published over 80 papers, predominantly in the EOC research field, and has received funding from CIHR, NSERC, CFI, FRQ-S, CRS and the Terry-Fox Research Institute (TFRI). He has been a co-founder and an active member of the provincial Réseau de Recherche en Cancer (RRCancer, established in 2000; see http://www.rrcancer.ca/), and since then, he has been a co-Chair of the Research Committee of the RRCancer axis entitled “Research and Solid State Tumour Biobank”. Following the establishment of RRCancer, Dr. Bachvarov was also in charge of the organization for the RRCancer-supported ovarian tumor bank in the Centre de recherche sur le cancer de l’Université Laval and the Hôtel-Dieu de Québec Hospital (the bank currently contains EOC specimens from about 3,000 patients). He is also the Head of the RRCancer Core Genomic Facility in Québec city. This facility is based on the Agilent dual channel detection microarray platform and has all the necessary equipment, complementary software and expertise required to perform different microarray experiments, including global gene expression and microRNA expression analyses, methylation DNA microarray-based analyses, array-CGH/CNV and Chip-on-CHIP analyses. The Core Genomic Facility in Québec city is providing a genomics and bioinformatics service to Canadian and foreign scientists who implement genomics approaches in their research (see: https://www.crc.ulaval.ca/la-recherche/plateformes/).
6, rue McMahon
Canada G1R 2J6
Data not available
- Faddaoui, AdnenDoctoral studentL'Hôtel-Dieu de Québec+1 418-525-4444, extension 24651+1 firstname.lastname@example.org
6, rue McMahon
Canada G1R 2J6
- Mehdi, SadiaDoctoral studentL'Hôtel-Dieu de Québec+1 418-525-4444, extension 16944+1 email@example.com
9, rue McMahon
Canada G1R 3S3
- Batchvarova, MagdalenaEmployeeL'Hôtel-Dieu de Québec+1 418-525-4444, extension 24655+1 418-691-2954Magdalena.Batchvarova@crchudequebec.ulaval.ca
6, rue McMahon
Canada G1R 2J6
Characteristics and outcome of the COEUR Canadian validation cohort for ovarian cancer biomarkers.Journal Article
BMC Cancer, 18 (1), pp. 347, 2018.
Altered expression of different GalNAc‑transferases is associated with disease progression and poor prognosis in women with high-grade serous ovarian cancer.Journal Article
Int J Oncol, 51 (6), pp. 1887-1897, 2017, ISSN: 1019-6439.
Hic-5 regulates epithelial to mesenchymal transition in ovarian cancer cells in a TGFβ1-independent manner.Journal Article
Oncotarget, 8 (47), pp. 82506-82530, 2017, ISSN: 1949-2553.
Suppression of the grainyhead transcription factor 2 gene (GRHL2) inhibits the proliferation, migration, invasion and mediates cell cycle arrest of ovarian cancer cells.Journal Article
Cell Cycle, 16 (7), pp. 693-706, 2017, ISSN: 1538-4101.
Systems biology combining human- and animal-data miRNA and mRNA data identifies new targets in ureteropelvic junction obstruction.Journal Article
BMC Syst Biol, 11 (1), pp. 31, 2017.
Biocompatible Lipid Nanoparticles as Carriers To Improve Curcumin Efficacy in Ovarian Cancer Treatment.Journal Article
J Agric Food Chem, 65 (7), pp. 1342-1352, 2017, ISSN: 0021-8561.
Proteomic dataset for altered glycoprotein expression upon GALNT3 knockdown in ovarian cancer cells.Journal Article
Data Brief, 8 , pp. 342-9, 2016, ISSN: 2352-3409.
A metabolic labeling approach for glycoproteomic analysis reveals altered glycoprotein expression upon GALNT3 knockdown in ovarian cancer cells.Journal Article
J Proteomics, 145 , pp. 91-102, 2016, ISSN: 1874-3919.
NUPR1, a new target in liver cancer: implication in controlling cell growth, migration, invasion and sorafenib resistance.Journal Article
Cell Death Dis, 7 (6), pp. e2269, 2016.
The mannose receptor LY75 (DEC205/CD205) modulates cellular phenotype and metastatic potential of ovarian cancer cells.Journal Article
Oncotarget, 7 (12), pp. 14125-42, 2016, ISSN: 1949-2553.
- Centre de recherche sur le cancer, Subvention, Institutionnel - BDR, BDR - Centres de recherche reconnus, from 1996-05-01 to 2023-04-30
- Centre hospitalier universitaire de Québec - Université Laval, Subvention, Centre hospitalier universitaire de Québec - Université Laval, Centres de recherche affiliés, from 2017-01-01 to 2099-12-31
Recently finished projects
- (FRSQ 67140-CHUM) Axe banque de tissus et de données BTD / Réseau de recherche sur le cancer / projet "Tumeurs sein / ovaire 26380 , Subvention, Fonds de recherche du Québec - Santé, Réseaux thématiques de recherche, from 2007-04-01 to 2018-03-31
- Investigating in vivo the role of EMT in epithelial ovarian cancer dissemination by modulating LY75 expression and analyzing the molecular mechanisms of LY75-mediated control of EOC phenotype, Subvention, Société de recherche sur le cancer, Subvention de fonctionnement, from 2016-09-01 to 2018-08-31
- The Canadian Ovarian Cancer Research Consortium (COCRC). Plateforme trans-canadienne pour le développement de biomarqueurs s'adressant à des sous-types spécifiques de carcinome ovarien., Subvention, Terry Fox Research Institute (The), from 2011-04-01 to 2018-03-31
- The use of the three-dimensional (spheroid) cellular model for the development of a functional assay and the identification of biomarkers, predictive for response of high-grade serious ovarian cancer (HGSOC) patients with sporadic disease, Subvention, Fondation de l'Université Laval, from 2014-11-05 to 2017-09-04