In a world where healthcare needs are constantly and rapidly rising, and where scientific innovation, technological development and artificial intelligence hold the lion’s share of society’s collective wealth, the Centre de recherche du CHU de Québec-Université Laval (CRCHU de Québec-UL) already stands out due to the quality and originality of its different teams of researchers in basic as well as translational, clinical, epidemiological and populational research. This strategic research development plan is guided by a philosophy that has already been proven, namely that excellence and performance are the main gauges of success in the scientific community and set a standard through which researchers are rated by their peers.
In an economic environment that is constantly evolving and faced with the growing complexity of acquiring knowledge and new technology, researchers must show more solidarity and exploit all available resources regarding their respective scientific competencies, as well as the various methods of funding. To maintain its remarkable momentum, our research center must not only continue to advance in each of the axes where it has made its mark, but also promote collaboration between these axes and the dissemination of findings that have made the reputation of its researchers. This plan describes, in detail, the strategic issues that will enable us to reach our goals while increasing the CRCHU de Québec-UL’s visibility on a national and international level. Finally, this plan sheds light on the importance of bringing science and society together for better knowledge of the impact of ongoing projects at the CRCHU de Québec-UL and the necessity to bridge the gap between the advancement of knowledge and the development of applications resulting from this knowledge.
Innovate to prevent and treat
- Ensure the training of future researchers in basic, clinical and populational research.
- Increase innovation through the development of new technology applicable to the healthcare system.
- Accelerate the advancement of knowledge to favor the promotion of health, improvement of care and quality of life.
- Align excellence in research with the CHU de Québec-Université Laval’s other missions.
- Increase our public visibility.
- Pride and belonging
- Rigor and scientific integrity
- Excellence and performance
- Collaboration and sharing of knowledge
- Respect and social commitment
The objectives (directions)
- 1. Bringing science and society together
- Establish and implement a strategic communications plan
- Inform on CRCHU de Québec-UL research and discoveries
2. An international level of strategic research
- Help researchers reach major goals
- Promote collaboration between all areas of activity
- Increase the number of publications in high-impact scientific journals
- Build a culture of excellence
- Increase investments in research and innovation
3. Technological resources to support the research community
- Optimize technology platforms
- Ensure access to mass data to accelerate research and innovation
- Ensure confidentiality and safe and responsible management of mass data
- Modernize processes and services
- Make the most of the various available sources of funding
4. Future workforce: Attracting and retaining researchers and highly qualified personnel
- Foster the attraction of resources
- Foster the retention of resources
- Increase the sense of belonging to the CRCHU de Québec
The major targets to be reached
- Bringing science and society together
- Improving synergy between researchers
- Improving on the quality and relevance of research
- Increasing the number of grants and scholarships from peer-reviewed organisations
- Increasing the critical mass of researchers in all the research axes and themes
- Improving on the quality of supervision and training
- Organizing scientific activities
- Reinforcing collaboration with other groups and healthcare establishments
- Increasing private sector investments to fund new research projects